27: An End, and a Beginning

(Fenrir's P.O.V, the night after Madeleine's death)

"...Ngggh...."

With my one arm in a sling and my other wielding a crutch to help me walk amongst my broken (and currently casted) foot, I just barely managed to pick up the iron poker and stoke the fire. Since I was sporting a black tuxedo with a basic white collared shirt, I had to move carefully and slowly. The fabric of the suit was stiff.

It definitely wasn't easy. I was sore all over, and insanely sleep deprived after the many nights spent locked away in the Godspeed mansion. I just had to keep reminding myself to take it slow.

Heh. Even now, my last name sent chills down my spine. This whole situation, with my completely deranged mother and father, and the Armies going to war over Madeleine's crazed plot to completely incinerate Cradle so she could start anew...

It was just....appalling. It didn't even feel real.

Throughout the last day since we'd made it back to the Black Army castle, I still wasn't entirely grasping everything that had happened. Alot of it was still....just a blur.

And based around everything I'd done, being back home was different. Many of my trainee's, along with the other soldiers in all the various Spade ranks, looked at me like a traitor. I'd barely been back 24 hours, and I was still receiving awkward glances, hearing gossip around the hallway corners, and practically forced to be alone in most rooms.

Slowly and carefully, I set the poker down after tending to the fire and sauntered back to the small couch and took a seat. As soon as I managed to lean back against the plush, I breathed a heavy, relieved sigh.

Whatever. It wouldn't last forever. I couldn't go back on my choices now.

But, did I regret them? 

That question...was still something that was burdening my heart.

"Man....I really haven't been this sore in a long time..." I growled to myself. Compared to the rest of my friends that had come to the rescue to save me, I had turned out to be relatively lucky in the injury department. Harr, Loki and Thomas, though wielders of Magic, were still recovering in the hospital ward. Sirius and Kelly, whom had also been heavily injured by the blast, hadn't yet gotten out of bed since we brought them back.

Everything had just...turned into this big mess.

After all was said and done, I was happy to know that we all made it out okay. That was the ultimate goal, and saving Cradle in the process, was something I would never resent.

But, knowing I wasn't strong enough to protect them all...

I ran my fingers through my pink hair, gritting my teeth in guilt for knowing that I was ultimately the cause of all of this suffering. 

I don't.....know if I'll ever forgive myself for that.

"Still whining, huh?"

The sarcastic tone of my best friend suddenly interrupted me from the office door.

I looked up in surprise. 

"Ray..."

The King moved in quickly, no longer wearing his Spade uniform, but a polished black suit with a white dress shirt and black tie. He pushed the door shut behind him, but seemed to pause to make sure it remained opened just an inch. I caught the gesture and eyed it curiously, but didn't think anything of it.

"How you feelin'?" He sat down on the armrest of the couch and observed me with his green eyes. I looked down towards my arm, then my leg.

"Sore. Not the best mobility, that's for sure." I grumbled with a sigh.