15: Like Shattered Glass

(Meanwhile, at the Red Army Castle...)

"Ngh!"

The sudden loud clatter of an ornate porcelain teacup rang in the air of the dining room as Lancelot dropped his cup from his mouth fast. He rose his fingers to his lips unconsciously, wincing at the burning sensation on his tongue.

"You didn't check the tea before serving it?"

The obnoxious and annoyed voice of Jonah, Lancelot's second in command, lashed out across the table. The maker of the tea, Kyle Ash, sighed loudly.

"I told you I was too busy to make tea." The 7 of Hearts, who's main job was to assist the Army as their head doctor, grumbled back.

He hated dealing with the trivial aspects of this job; such as making and serving tea and food, or chasing down Lancelot when he needed his shots.

...why couldn't they just make it easier and less hassle for him so he didn't have to waste his time like this?

"Our King requested tea, and as a head lieutenant of the Red Army, it's your job to provide that service." Jonah was growing even more irritated, based on how snide his tone was becoming.

Kyle rolled his eyes.

"I made the damn tea. It's just too fresh, Lancelot should pay attention and test the temperature before he--"

The Queen of Hearts pushed his chair out from behind him so quickly as he stood up, the seat toppled onto its side. His expression was incredulous as he stared at the 7 of Hearts.

"How dare you speak ill of our King like that! You should be--"

"Enough."

Lancelot silenced his feuding underlings with a single syllable. Having already pushed the steaming hot drink away from his immediate vicinity, the blonde haired King laced his fingers together infront of his mouth.

He was quite aware that there were much more important things to attend to.

Three of his four lieutenants sat around the gilded dining table, watching quietly and awaiting his first item on the agenda. Edgar, best known as his sword, was the only man missing.

"Despite the Jack of Hearts absence, we will still continue our meeting as planned. Jonah, you may begin."

A quiet snickering passed beyond the ears of the King and Queen, and they both narrowed their gazes at Kyle and Zero, the two underlings at the table, as they muttered to eachother.

Jonah was already assuming they were making some kind of joke at his own expense.

The nerve.

"Ah-HEM." The Queen cleared his throat rudely, then flapped the papers he held to get their attention. He stood up confidantly, and Kyle and Zero both shushed.

"Now then." With the floor all his own, Jonah began.

"The investigation into the arson at the Black Castle is still ongoing. But, based on the information we've gathered from the scene, it was a terrorist attack connected to one of their members."

This got the men's attention. Zero spoke up first.

"The attack was caused by one of the head lieutenants?"

Jonah shook his head as he consulted his files.

"It wasn't caused by one of them. But there is reason to believe that the culprit that caused the fire had a connection to one of the members,  based on personal history."