4: Burden

Within minutes, I followed the Ace of Spades outside into the cool night air. As soon as we stepped out the door , I could see the beach we had been visiting this morning just beyond their walkway. So I was right. This was the closest place for Fenrir to bring me.

We walked towards a small overhang with two horses tied to the wooden frame. As I sauntered after him, I could see that he seemed to have recovered from that odd fatigue spell from earlier.

Now was my chance.

As he began undoing one of the horses reins, I grabbed his arm, willing him to face me.

"Fenrir. What was all of that?"

He tore his eyes from unknotting the reins, gazed at me for only a moment, then averted his eyes once again. I got the feeling this wasn't going to be easy to talk about...

He sighed heavily.

"As you can see, my family is pretty....different." For such a charismatic and confident lieutenant, Fenrir seemed everything but that right now. I tilted my head at him curiously. I could tell he didn't want to talk about this at all.

Fenrir ran his hand through his hair in embarrassment. He looked back down at his hands as they continued to fumble with the knot of the reins.

"To be honest...my parent's can be pretty pushy. They've been trying to force me to get married and settle down for years."

A sudden heavy lump formed in my throat, and I swallowed it down harshly.

"M-Married?"

"Yeah...." His breathy sigh just escalated how frustrated he seemed with the whole situation.

"Anytime I'm with another woman, my parent's try to force me into courtship. They take too easily to anyone I know, be it a friend, an acquaintance, or even townsfolk off the street. I can't tell you how many times they've ambushed me when I've been on duty in Central, helping a young woman with her groceries, or tending to a single mother who's child ran off.."

Guilt and sympathy for Fenrir washed over me as he told his story. I couldn't imagine having pushy parents like that. Especially for such a rebellious and free soul like Fenrir, who always seemed to just want to have fun.

I frowned, feeling like I was just the burden on the Ace of Spades that caused this issue.

"I'm sorry for bringing you such trouble..."

The pink haired man suddenly looked up. He shook his head wildly.

"No, no! Please don't apologize. You were just brought into an unfortunate circumstance. I should be the one apologizing..."

There was an air to our conversation now that loomed somberly over us. Fenrir finally untied the reins and patted the horse, before pulling it from the overhang it was tied to.

"Besides. What's done is done, right? I brought you there because it was much faster to have you treated at my place, then send for the Black Army's doctor. Now that you're feeling better, we can just put that awkward meeting behind us." He stepped towards me and regained his composure with a bright smile.

But there was still one question on my mind.

"But....you know, I wonder..." I swallowed as I hesitated for a moment. I was unsure if I should be asking the question that was floating in my mind . Fenrir tilted his head at me.

"Hmm?"

Here goes nothing.

"Are your parents pushing because they want an heir?"