9: Invitation

(Sirius P.O.V, Flashback)

"WATCH IT!"

A loud, panicked voice yelled from down the hallway, rounding the corner instantly and dashing towards me. I looked up from the letter in my hand.

"L-Luka?"

But he didn't slow down. Sprinting wildly, his bright, determined eyes stared at me. He wasn't stopping. As he edged closer and closer, I realized his intention was to literally bowl me over.

"Woah-wait!!!"

The Jack of Spades ran right into me and football tackled me in the chest with all his might, sending me flying backwards with a heavy, pained yelp. The letter flew from my hands as I dropped a good few feet from him, falling onto my back.

What...the hell.....?

I sat up fast, wincing at the aching in my torso. For such a small guy..he really was a heavy hitt--

Wait....

Luka?

My train of thought instantly derailed as I watched Luka snatch the letter out of the air and drop to his knees. He leant forward on his elbows and held his torso around it, treating the piece of paper like a bomb about to explode...

With his own body as the barrier to quell the blast.

My heart stopped.

"LUKA!"

BOOOOOOOOOM!

The hallway was engulfed in a blast so strong, it knocked me backward and stole the breath from my lungs. The walls crumbled, glass windows and lights shattered, and fire erupted in every single crevice of the corridor. Dust and ash filled the air. 

My head bounced back onto the floor, and everything cut out in the blink of an eye.

................

........

I don't know how long I laid there.

I only woke up because the smoke from the fire was so thick, I couldn't breath.

I shakily got to my feet and tried to clear a path though the darkness, but when I got to where I presumed Luka's unconscious body would have been, nothing was there. Only a large puddle of blood. I could only hope he was able to hobble his way out before he succumbed to his injuries...

I couldn't stay long. I was surely nursing at least a minor concussion, as my vision blurred constantly and the smoke grew thicker and thicker. My body felt weak. I would surely pass out from either lack of oxygen or trauma to the head at any moment.

I needed to get out. If I could somehow get outside..

Maybe I could find him..

(end flashback)

(Kelly's P.O.V)

I watched on bated breath as shame wallowed in Sirius' eyes. He wrapped the last of Luka's new bandages around his middle, then tied a precise knot at the end.

"It took me a little time, but I made it out. I exited near the stables, so I stumbled there and grabbed Abby. At least that way, if I did knock out again because of my head, I knew she would take me to the nearest medic in Central."

I could feel the sadness in the Queen's voice. I bit my lip as anguish began to fill my chest. This entire situation had been traumatizing for everyone. I watched Fenrir run into the fire without a single shred of fear; Sirius' witnessed Luka use his own body as a shield for the blast...