23: I Won't Let it End Like This

(Kelly's P.O.V)

My heart was racing.

"It's Fenrir!"

"The Ace of Spades - he's back!"

Ray had told me he had been summoned for a meeting, but didn't give me any information on who it was he was planning to see. From the way we'd left our conversation last night, Ray was hardly able to keep up with the work he was expected to do now that the war had taken up so much of his time.

As I walked down the corridor and heard the soldiers calling out my lovers name; watching them race to the windows in shock, I dropped my laundry basket and bolted out the door in a frantic instant.

It couldn't be...I thought.

There's no way...was it possible he could return this quickly?

I burst through the entrance and barely processed the image of his form walking across the courtyard. He looked different: boney, fragile, and overexerted. His eyes were tired, and his cheeks were ever so slightly sunken in.

But I didn't care. Whatever had happened, it was over now. Fenrir had escaped, and returned to us. Returned to me.

Everything was going to be fine now.

So I blindly sprinted towards him. I didn't even recognize the man behind him as I ran - my whole heart was simply exploding with relief.

I've missed you. I can't bear to lose you again.

I collided with Fenrirs' body so quickly, I could hardly separate my thoughts. My arms curled around him and a new, larger, more vacant space remained around his torso - it was shocking how much weight he'd lost.

"F-Fenrir!" I called his name and tried to thrust my head into his shoulder. I needed comfort; I needed his touch.

Tell me you're okay. Tell me everything will be--

"Ah!"

A violent pain suddenly shot through my arm as his fingers squeezed my shoulder - so tight, it felt like he was ready to crush my bones.

Not a word was said as his eyes met mine. They were devoid of emotion, completely amiss to the fact that he was hurting me. Either that..

Or he just didn't care.

My blood turned ice cold as Fenrir shoved me backwards. The force of his push sent me into the ground with a yelp.

It hurt. Being knocked down hurt. But it wasn't my body that shook with waves of pain..

It was my heart.

His eyes turned away from me then, and purposely didn't look back. I opened my mouth to speak, but-

"So this is what you've become."

Ray beat me to it. I turned over my shoulder anxiously, only to witness the King's narrowed eyes and sharp jaw. Whatever it was that was going on, he knew it had affected Fenrir greatly.

The silence between the three of us lingered for too long. The strain in the air was so thick, it felt like a string, pulled taught and about to snap.

"Hahahahaha!"

A sinister laugh suddenly fell from Fenrirs' lips. It shook me to my core, watching him grin with almost psychotic delight.

"I have good news for you, Ray."

My mind was racing as I observed his behaviour. I didn't recognize him; he was a different person, assumably wracked by starvation and Magic. He had to be. Why...why else would he act this way?