8: Just Out of Reach

(That Evening, Sirius' P.O.V)

"I'm going."

For the second time in an hour, I stepped forward and grabbed Ray's shoulder. I squeezed hard, showing him that I wasn't interested in continuing this trivial back and forth.

"It's stupid to go now. How many times do I have to tell you that?" I knew the King wouldn't like what I had to say. But he was overwhelmed, knowing that not only was his castle burning, but possibly his best friend was too.

A growl eminated from his throat. Ray swung his arm from me, pulling his shoulder out of my grasp.

"Fenrir could be really hurt. Why are you refusing your role as Queen, Sirius?" The King of Spades had venom in his voice. He turned around so I could see the pain in his eyes.

I grit my teeth, baring the brunt of Ray's sharp words. This was part of the job too, after all. Even if it was uncomfortable to hear.

"Harr and Loki are looking for him. They have Magic they can use at will, its much easier to--"

Ray scoffed and turned away from me, averting his anxious eyes from my gaze. I expected him to say something, but he went quiet.

"Sirius is right, you know.." Seth piped up from the dinner table. The group of us lieutenants had all gathered at Blanc's cottage in the forest; the only neutral territory we could temporarily use until the castle was fit to be lived in once again. This was the only place we had that remained out of the public eye. Really, it was just a security measure; if by chance the attack on the castle was caused by the Red Army, they wouldn't know where to find us now.

"If you rush in there too hastily, you could get hurt too. Fenrir wouldn't want that, Ray." Despite being our King, Seth and I both resolved to speak to our boss as only our friend right now. One whom definitely needed the advice to stay calm.

The King of Spades sighed heavily, clearly giving up his stance for now. Both the 10 of Spades and I glanced at eachother in relief.

"You're right..." 

I turned around and picked up the tea, sandwiches, and basket of bandages and ointment on the kitchen counter.

"Come on, we could all use some answers." I told my two friends as I rounded the room and headed to the door that lead into the hallway.

"Let's go check on Kelly and Luka..."

-----------------

(Kelly's P.O.V)

I had been laying on this bed for what felt like hours. But in truth, I didn't even know how long it had been.

When I turned onto my side to look out the window, I could see the evening sunset creeping in.

....so I really had been here for hours.

Another heavy punch of devastating emotions rocked me and I cowered, throwing my hands to my face.

Could the unthinkable possibly have happened to him? Why wasn't he back yet?

I was holding back tears as I heard the door creak open.

"...Kelly?"

I looked up, peaking one of my watery eyes out from between my fingers.

Sirius, Ray and Seth quietly stepped in, closing the door behind them. Of all their faces, Ray was clearly the most agitated; regret and fear creasing into lines around his eyes.

The 10 of Spades was the first to approach me. He sat down at the edge of the bed I was on, placing a resolute hand on my ankle.

"Alice..? Are you hungry?" His voice was as smooth as butter. I sighed quietly, removing my hands from my face.