3: A Guest

I jumped out of my skin, instantly grabbing onto Fenrir's arms as he stumbled infront of me. He in turn grabbed onto my shoulder, trying to keep himself standing.

"D--Darnit.." He muttered in frustration under his breath. I looked down to him and could see he was clearly suffering fatigue. There was even a few beads of sweat collecting on his forehead.

What was causing him to suddenly feel so weak?

"C-Come on, we need to keep moving. We can't stay in this house." The Ace of Spades attempted to regain his stature, then grabbed my hand and began rushing down the hallway, away from the footsteps that clambered just a few corridor's away.

I was beyond confused. His pointed statement about the house made me wonder..

"Fenrir, what's going on?"

I was starting to become worried. First, there was that odd, suspicious exchange between him and Diedrich, his family's butler. And now, he was running away from other people in the mansion?

Something really wasn't right..

"I'll tell you later. Trust me." Fenrir was clear and short. Whatever it was, it seemed it wasn't important right now.

"Just follow me, and stay close, okay? I can't have anything else happen to you."

I stared at his back as he rushed forward. Despite the urgency in his voice, it warmed my heart to know how chivalrous he was by nature. He was still so worried about me, even now.

"O-oka--"

"HA!?" The man guiding me suddenly gasped and stopped walking instantly. More footsteps sounded infront of us, about to turn the corner.

"No, they can't see us!" Fenrir growled, in a flurry of panic. I looked left and right. All of the ornate doors were closed, and presumably locked. 

...except for one.

"In here!" I exclaimed, taking the chance and pulling Fenrir's hand towards me. He looked over and immediately the both of us rushed into the room, shutting the door quickly and locking it.

Now, we were inside a broom closet barely the size of an apartment bathroom. It was completely dark inside, with only a pull string light hanging from the ceiling. I looked up to turn it on, but Fenrir grabbed my hand and shook his head. He then mouthed the words to me:

"No, not now."

I swallowed, then nodded in understanding. Fenrir turned away and leant his back against the door, listening to hear the groups of people that walked down the hall and past the our hiding spot. I didn't dare move.

I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. Now we were concealed in a closet, attempting to dodge people within the mansion.

Were we not supposed to be here for some reason?

This whole situation was really starting to make me anxious.

I swallowed, watching Fenrir's form as he listened through the door. Silence passed between us for a good minute, before I spoke up.

"F-Fenrir...?" My voice was nervous and choked up. I swallowed as I saw his body shift as he turned his gaze to me.

"Umm....what's going on?" I felt bad asking once again, but by now, I was starting to think this was much more serious than what I presumed.

"We're hiding from people in a broom closet, in a place you're telling me we're not supposed to be...It's making me really anxious." 

All of a sudden the Ace of Spades pushed off the door and walked towards me. As he came closer, I could make out more and more of his features in the darkness.