7: Burn

(Fenrir's P.O.V)

Nothing could have prepared me for what I saw as I stepped through the clearing of the forest.

By now, Kelly had woken and was walking quietly behind me. We were talking about the lore of Cradle, and how Harr and Loki had been banished a long time ago from either Territory.

But then I looked up as I stepped through the trees...

....smoke was billowing from the Black Army Castle.

I heard Alice gasp behind me, but it didn't matter. I had already taken off, sprinting towards the courtyard in fear.

"No....no no...please no..."

Panic was setting in as I rushed. Painful flashbacks of The Day That Went Dark filled me, causing a frenzy inside my head.

I promised myself I would never let it happen again. I would protect everyone, no matter the cost..

I was at the castle doors in seconds.

"RAY! LUKA! SIRIUS!" I threw myself at the large doors, pulling them open and dashing inside. My body was covered in sweat, and I was panting like a madman.

"SETH! GIN!?"

I looked left and right, trying to find any of the lieutenants. But all I could see was smoke billowing through the hallways, filling every space with endless darkness.

I began coughing and rose my sleeve to my nose and mouth. Walking forward, I waded through the black smoke, the thickness of the heavy soot slowing me down dramatically.

But I didn't care. My only resolve was to find my friends and save my army. I would get to them, even if it cost me everything.

Minutes passed. The deeper I sauntered into the castle, the heavier the smoke became. When I could hardly see anymore, I began using my hand as a guide against the wall, feeling for corners and turns in the corridors. But even then, I wasn't getting anywhere. The thick ashes and soot in the air rendered it entirely impossible to move, even after only being in the castle for a few minutes.

I was starting to choke. I needed air.

Recollecting my footsteps, I paused. If I remembered my lefts and rights correctly, there would be a window..

There. At the end of this hallway.

"....I'll....never give up..." I hissed against my sleeve, taking out my pistol and shooting 1, 2, 3 times into the air. I watched the bullets cut through the heavy darkness, making the black clouds swirl and morph.

Crash!!!

Bingo.

But my plan was still flawed. Moments passed as I tried to walk closer to the broken window at the end of the surging dark tunnel I was in. I pushed forward, working my way towards the brightness; towards air.

My eyes were starting to get heavy. My legs and arms were slowly losing feeling.

I was almost there. I reached out, barely able to see my fingers...

I could get there.

I could....--

And just as my consciousness gave out, something warm took a hold of my hand.

---------------

(Kelly P.O.V)

What do I do? What do I do!?

"Fenrir DON'T!"

But I knew, even if he could hear me, he would refuse to stop. I slowed, unable to reach him as I watched him throw himself into the burning castle.  I stepped towards the door, but hesitated.