16: I Won't Let You Stop Now

(Kelly's P.O.V)

It felt like we had been running for a good solid hour. Now hand in hand, the two of us dashed through the gloomy forest, rushing into the deepest mass of trees we could find.

"Haa, haa, Fenrir! I---I can't run much longer!" My legs were burning, and I'd long since taken my heels off to run barefoot. But I was growing exhausted so quickly, I could hardly keep up.

"Just a little more!" He called back to me, pulling my hand closer to him as we sprinted.

"It's just up ahead!"

I could see an even denser brush of trees infront of us, but couldn't understand why we were rushing headfirst into it. We'd been running for so long, it was clear that our enemies weren't chasing after us by now.

"Where are we going!?" I called, having to will my legs to push through the pain. He turned back to me with, surprisingly, a suspicious smirk.

He clearly had a plan.

"Don't worry. You'll love it."

I followed the pink haired lieutenant through the forest and into the large mass of trees. We slipped past the barrier of foliage, and I expected to come into an even denser wooded area, but-

All of a sudden, I was face to face with the ruins of a castle.

I gasped as the two of us slowed to a hault.

"Hahaha, like it?" Fenrir clearly couldn't contain his excitement. He left me stunned at the entrance of the clearing and jogged to the stone archway that was covered in vines and greenery.

"..what...is it?" I couldn't hide the fact that my interest was piqued. I hadn't expected to find a castle so deeply rooted this forest. I'd never known such a thing existed so deep in the woods here.

"This was once the Red Army castle. Years ago, before the warring between the Spades and the Reds began." 

That meant this castle was over 500 years old. I felt my mouth drop in shock as I sauntered closer, looking over the ornate stonework that was hidden behind sprawling greenery that climbed ever so slowly up the stone walls.

"This was a Red Army castle? It's so well preserved, even for being so old..."

Fenrir's broad shoulders and pink hair dissapeared inside, so I quietly followed after him, dragging my fingers along the inner hallway walls that were now stained with age. The castle seemed to have been built up with three large towers, but two of them had been blown apart and only held rubble now. The third tower was still standing roughly, but it's peak had been destroyed by what looked like bombs or Magic, and now stood as a half-intact beacon for the highest part of the castle.

"Once the wars between the Red and Black armies began, this castle quickly became collateral damage. Lancelot's ancestor's tried to save it, but eventually had to give it up when it was unable to be protected or salvaged." I looked towards the Ace of Spades as he spoke; watching him begin up a set of carved stone stairs that seemed to wind towards the second floor in a spiral.

Looking around, there wasn't much left in the structure; it was mostly now home to the forest foliage and old age. But even still, it was peaceful. And it managed to free my mind of the incessant worrying about Thomas and the--

Wait.

Thomas!

Halfway up the staircase I stopped and grabbed onto the Ace of Spades hand. He turned around to meet eyes with me in sudden surprise.

"Fenrir, what are we going to do about Thomas!? He has Magic that can break even my barrier!" Anxiety rose in the tone of my voice. I'd been running with Fenrir for so long, I'd completely forgotten about our enemy that we'd narrowly escaped from.