5: Confusion in Central

(Kelly P.O.V, the next morning)

The soreness in my throat and chest was finally starting to subside as the day of my incident at the beach slowly faded into the past.

After all the amazing food I was given last night, I slept deeply in my bed, before waking the next morning bright and early. It was a genuine relief to wake up in the bed I was growing accustomed to, rather than that strange mansion on the beach.

Today, I would keep to my promise of working even harder to help out the Black Army, after all of their hospitality during this whole ordeal.

At 6:30am I had already showered and changed, and was down in the kitchen mixing up some batter for pancakes. I was wearing one of the aprons, clearly too large for me since all of them were men's sizes, but it did the trick.

Mixing my battery together furiously, I glanced out the kitchen window. The sun had just risen, overlooking the courtyard and the large field outside the Black Army castle.

A feeling of peace washed over me. If was a gorgeous sight to see.

"Luka-- oh!"

All of a sudden the kitchen door swung open. Sirius plowed through but stopped short at seeing me. He broke into a bright smile.

"Alice. I didn't expect to see you awake so early."

I beamed brightly at the Queen of Spades.

"Good morning! I wanted to get a head start on breakfast for everyone."

I could see Sirius' face warm to the gesture. He sauntered over to the aprons hanging on the wall and proceeded to grab one and put it on.

"Mind if I join you? The army has a packed day today." Without even so much as a word, Sirius passed by me and grabbed a carton of eggs from the fridge. He then swiped a frying pan from one of the cupboards and proceeded to turn on the stove.

"Absolutely!"

I smiled gently. It was always fun cooking with the Black Army. Sirius and Luka were chefs in the making, and anyway I could help, I was happy to.  Even if it just meant watching how insanely productive they could be.

So, the two of us spent the morning fixing the biggest breakfast I'd ever been a part of making. Sirius' rule of thumb was: take the recipe, and quadruple it. Within an hour we had filled an entire dining table that seated twelve with pancakes, waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, fruit, scones, coffee, tea, juice, and every fixing imaginable.

And that was only for the lieutenants.

Thankfully, much of the food for the rest of the army was already prepared ahead of time, and just had to be heated up. By the time 8am rolled around, we had enough food for the entire fleet of Army Men, meaning atleast 40 of the soldiers would be waking up and rushing to the dining hall any minute.

"And we're done." Relief cascaded through me and I wiped a bit of sweat from my forehead. Sirius placed the last of the fruit down on one of the five dining tables, shifted its position slightly to the left, then straightened up.

"You're an amazing help, little lady." The Queen of Spades patted my shoulder and I happily complied.

"Wow. I had no idea two people could possibly make so much food." I turned to Sirius as he began heading back into the kitchen. He turned back to wink at me.

"It's all about working smart, not hard."

I lit up in a smile, following the Queen into the kitchen. If I could harness some of these tips from Cradle before I went home, I would be a changed woman. Imagine only myself being able to bake hundreds of scones just by myself alone. I would be the highlight of the confectionary!