Chapter Thirty-Two

Quick Recap... Should read last four chapters for more detailed recap.

Nathaniel and Annika have been capture by who they think are the freedom fighters. Nope, not true. Annika has a dissociative identity disorder. Melody is her name and is currently taking over her body. Alexander (Alex) and Melody have a history. Not yet explained. Nate and Alex fight but Alex got the upper hand and here we are. There is so so much more but damn I really don’t want to type it all. LOL

Unedited.

Dead Man’s Desert

Blood. That was the first thing that registered in Nathaniel’s mind as he is regaining consciousness. The metallic smell was a constant in his life and it was currently surrounding him. The second is that he is bound by something hard while laying flat on the ground. Instantly, he knew he was not roped like the last time, but by something rigid and secure. Metal chains were more likely what they used. Smart move, but it was still possible for him to free himself. There aren’t many things that can keep a Halo pinned down. 

He knew he couldn’t let his captures know he was conscious until he had some bearing on the current situation. Like the saying goes ‘A hawk is a skilled hunter, who hides his talons from prey’. Unmoving on the ground still, pretending to be unconscious, he uses his other senses to gather information on his surroundings. The cold air was present but no wind was felt. They must be in a tent. The smell of burning wax was strong. Use for light, meaning it was night. Irregular breathing made him aware that more than two people surrounded him. And one of them he knew was Annika. Although, her breathing pattern seems slightly different from before. It is calm and constant unlike earlier where it was more erratic from fear and nervousness. That was strange, but I can’t focus on that right now. 

There is a dulling pain coming from his chest where that bastard Alexander stabbed him. Really must return the favor. My head feels a little cloudy. The blade that pierced him had to have been coated in some type of poison. A costly mistake he made not paying attention. At the time his attention was divided between his opponent and Annika. He wanted to punch himself for all the mistakes he was constantly making lately. It was beaten repeatedly into him to be alert at all times. Never allow anyone or anything to distract him. Disappointment flooded him but only for a second. It won’t help in his current situation.

‘’ When the fuck is this bastard gonna wake up?’’ An irritated voice from his right. ‘’It’s been hours.’’ 

‘’ Alex did a number on him. Might be awhile. Replied a second voice, bored.

Shuffling was heard before a third voice grumbled, ‘’ Yall act like yall have better things to do,’’

‘’ Well, it sure as shit ain’t this,’’ the first man said. ‘’ Babysitting a grown-ass man was not what I signed up for.’’

‘’ We didn’t sign anything.’’ said the third voice. Full of confusion.  Idiots. He was surrounded by idiots. 

‘’ It was a fucking joke.’’ He almost signs out loud just to get them to shut up. It took all his self-discipline not to slip out the chains and break their necks. 

‘’ You are all idiots.’’ He almost jerks his head towards the feminine voice. Annika. ‘’ Are you guys really apart of the rebellion?  Because if you are, I am ashamed to have admired you guys,’’

Every muscle in Nathaniel’s body tensed. He remembered her groans of pain from Alex’s tent before the fight. He wanted to turn his head and look at her. To see how much that bastard harmed her. 

A low chuckled followed by the amused voice of the first man spoke. ‘’ Well look who finally decided to join us. How was your nap?’’