Chapter Nine

I would like to give my appreciation once more to those who have comment and vote on my story. I seriously am grateful. It's almost 3 am here in Virginia and here I am posting. I am a night owl, I love the night so that is when I get most of my writing done. WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED. I'd  love to know?

*****************************************************

Unedited

Nathaniel felt threatened. Sitting not a foot from him was the little girl with hazel eyes he vowed to never lay eyes on again. Only that little girl was now a hazel-eyed woman. The threat he felt eight years old was minor compared to now. He couldn't understand why, though? Why did he feel threatened by this child-woman? She clearly was no trained assassin or spy. He watched every moved she and her family made. They were ordinary civilians that led ordinary lives; well, as ordinary as one could get living in the Ineffectual District. Furrowing his eyebrows, he wonders why they were placed there? None had mental or physical illnesses or traitors; so why were they placed there. It was also weird that neither one of the girls went through the Breeding process. Tightening his hands on the steering wheel a sudden rage and one other unfamiliar emotion went through him. The Breeding Process was located in the Breeding district. when girls twelve years of age went to be tested to see if they can produce healthy babies when they came of age; It was also used when a woman wanted to bear children. The thought of Annika being tested for either one bothered him. Why? Why did it upset him? The thought of her having kids with another man made him uncomfortable and another emotion he couldn't identify.

These new and unsettling emotions only happen around her or when he thought of her. During the eight years after he saw her that day he started seeing things around him differently. The first time was a week after he met her and her sister. He and a small group of soldiers were called to Colony Two, a small rebellion was taking place in the Medical District. It seemed that a group of citizens from the Ineffectual thought they were not being given the appropriate amount of medical supplies, so they attacked one of the supply houses. When they arrived it was completely chaotic. Dead bodies were everywhere. Men, women and even children littered the streets. Fighting was still going strong between the two districts. He and his men immediately set out to stop the raging riot. About an hour later it seemed like they had contained the violent mob, that was until he went to check the last medical building on the east side of the district. A small gathering of six women that thought they would be safe hiding in the building instead of being out in the open were being raped by some of the men from the Ineffectual District. Usually, he would have instantly killed the men that were violently violating the women. Rape was one of the three unforgiving acts that warrant immediate death, murder and treason were the other two. Instead, he stood frozen; transfix by the intense face the men and groans they were making. It's not like he hadn't witness brutal rapes during his missions before in fact, it seemed like rape was the one constant besides the fighting. It's just for the first time he had wondered why? Why did their faces look so full of ecstasy? Why were they willing to risk death for sex? Just why? Sex and desire made men weak. Made them do stupid things just to get it. Like now, for instance, these men had to know that Halo soldiers would be called in but they tossed their survival away to get laid. It wasn't until one of the women being raped cried out loudly for help that he snapped out of this thoughts and killed the six men easily.

Nathaniel wished he could say that was the only time his mind had wandered off, during missions risking not only his life but the lives of others. But it had happened continuously. It didn't stop until he received a treatment about two years ago. But now as he sat in the car so close to Annika it all came rushing back. Questions. Emotions. Confusion. Why did this only occur around her? He had been around women that most people would call beautiful, but they never made his mind wonder or his body become uncomfortable. They never made him... FEEL.