Chapter Nineteen

unedited

Colony six: District Six

Annika age Eight (Flash Back)

Annika woke hearing low mumbling voices. Slowly she leans forward resting the top half of her body on her elbows. She held her breath waiting to see if she had been dreaming or- there she heard it again. Low voices outside the bedroom window. Sitting up fully she looked around the small bedroom her family shared. On the left side of her, on the small mattress, she shared with Raven, slept her seven-year-old little sister. Her head hidden beneath the covers. Feeling slightly relieved that Raven was not up to her usual antics she looked over to where her parents slept on another mattress. The moonlight shining through the window curtains showed her parent's mattress was empty. The covers were thrown to the bottom of the bed; like they got up in a hurry.

Panicking, Annika crawled quickly out the bed and up to the window. Was it thieves again!? It wouldn't have been the first time that people had tried to rob their house. Always, her mother and father were there to protect the house and them but where were they now? Standing to the side of the window she peeked through the curtains. Exhaling a relieved breath when she made out her parents... but they were not alone. A shadowy hooded figure stood facing her parents. It was difficult to clearly see the shadowed figure because of the lack of light and the hood that was covering their face, but Annika knew it had to a male because the figure was tall with wide shoulders. The baggy hoodie he had on did nothing to hide his heavily built body.

Curiosity filled her young head. What were her parents talking about in the middle of the night with a shady looking man? They always told her and Raven the night is the worst time to leave the house. Any number of untold dangers could and would most likely happen. Annika leans her ear closer to the window trying but failing to hear their conversation. The closed window prevented her from hearing clearly only murmurs came through. Frustrated she slides down the wall and crawled beneath the window. Praying as she cracked it open a little they didn't hear the small scrape noise it made. When it seemed like she had succeeded she made her way back to the spot she left earlier. Peeking once again, she listens.

'' Look, we told you before, we are not joining any rebellion. It's suicide. The Watchmen are unstoppable with the Halo program. You would just be leading your men to their deaths,'' Eric angrily whispered. Not wanting his children or anyone else hearing them.

'' Eric is right. The formula I perfected makes them nearly inhuman. Stronger, faster and smarter than what they were before. And their intelligence was off the charts before my formula was created. It's impossible to win against them.'' Mary said gently. Guilt was tearing her down slowly knowing she had been a part of making them stronger.

The shadow man nodded in understanding. '' I know you both had a hand in creating the new and improved Halo's and the guilt you now feel... but I also know about the sacrifices you made to protect your two girls. What you did to protect them.''

Mary's hands flew to cover her mouth, a small gasp sound slipped out as Eric's body went stiff in shock. Quickly looking at one another then back towards the man. Eric took a step closer to him. Staring straight into the man's eyes. '' Is that a threat?'' he shook slightly in rage. His hands forming into a fist. He would protect his family even if it meant committing murder.

The shadow man chuckled low. Shaking his head. '' No, it is not. Are you not curious about how I know what you both did?''

Lowering her hands slowly from her mouth, Mary was curious. No one knew. They had made sure of it. '' How do you know,'' she asked. '' We made no records. Left no trail to follow. And yet I hear the truth when you speak.''

Eric pushed his wife behind him when the man reached behind him and lifted up his hoodie. When his hand appeared again a thin file was in it. Holding it out to them, Eric grabbed it and open it. Lowering it so his wife could read it to.

As the duo read the reports the shadow man began to explain how he obtain it. '' Several days ago me and a few of my men infiltrated Colony four's military district. It was supposed to be a rescue mission; a small group of my men had been captured during a random raid performed by soldiers. We thought they wouldn't think that we would rescue them the same day... but we had been wrong. They ambushed us the moment we clear the wall. Many of us were killed but some ,myself included, managed to escape into a building close by. That building was the records building. There were many files and reports but one really caught my attention. It was the one with your daughters name on them.''

Mary and Eric stood shocked. They knew. The Watchmen knew what they had done. Everything was documented in the file. And more. They had made plans for their daughters. Plans that would not have existed if they hadn't temper with their daughter's mind and bodies.

Eric wanted to gather his family and run. The truth was they had nowhere to run to. They would be caught and executed, quickly. He was no soldier. He was a Geneticist His wife a Behavioral Scientist. They wouldn't last a day on the run. Still, he needed to protect his family. His daughters. But how?

The shadow man wanted to smile. He knew he had their attention now. '' The Watchmen will come for your daughters soon. The only way to protect them is to leave with me. Tonight.''

'' No," Mary said, stepping forward.

The shadow man head jerked back in surprise. Was this woman insane? He just told her that the Watchmen were coming for her daughters and still she protested against leaving. This is why women should stay out of men business. They let fear and emotions cloud rational judgment. Still, he needed her expertise. And he fucking hated it. '' If you stay here you both will be killed and your daughters will wish they were dead when the Watchmen get through with them.'' He tried to reason with the insane female.

Mary nodded her head in agreement. '' I know that. That is not what I am saying. If we all leave the Watchmen will send out every Halo and soldier looking for us. They will kill and threaten innocent people. Instill fear to the public so that soon even regular people will hunt us to stop the violence. We will have no place to hide'.'

'' My wife is right,'' Eric said.

Damn, he hadn't thought of that. '' So, what do you propose we do?'' The shadow man asked, pissed a fucking woman was out-thinking him.

As Mary was explaining, Annika , who had fallen asleep, dreamt of a shadowy man talking to her parents outside. The next day when she woke, once again on the mattress, she shared breakfast with her family completely forgetting about the crazy dream she had.

**************************************************

Technically, this was not supposed to be a chapter alone but the second part to chapter eighteen. I was gonna delete it but I had kinda left yall hanging so I typed it up on break. 

I just have to dedicate this forced chapter to these people.

 SnowFever

sacredjaguar

ballislife72803

Maddytheman99

thicocoqueen

Whenever I see you guys comment, I know my ass is gonna laugh. Not that I don't see the other comments I do and I love reading them.