Chapter Twenty-Eight

unedited

'' You do know that's not gonna hold him for very long, right?'' Melody said as she was pulling up her white panties before gathering her other clothes. An eight-inch serrated blade to the chest would have meant a painful death for any normal person. Nate wasn't normal by any means. It was only a temporary distraction for them.

Alex sent her a No shit look. His dislocated look made speaking a little difficult at the moment. Reaching down he snatched up his discarded black pants from the ground and began to put them on.

'' Well, it seems like somebody is in a rotten mood.'' She teased. She didn't have to look at him to know what expression was on his face. Anger. She giggles low when she peeked over at him and saw she was right. Yup, definitely angry. It wasn't her fault he got his ass kicked like that. Well, not all of it.

When they were both fully dressed, Alex started to walk out the tent. Most likely to gather his men, whoever was left that is, so they could bound Nate. Again.

'' Don't you think you should do something about your jaw before addressing your men?'' He stops mere inches from the tent flap. Looking over his shoulder at her in question. She rolled her hazel eyes in irritation '' Do you really want them to see you like that,'' waving an arm at his bloody appearance. '' All beat up and shit?'' She questions with a raised eyebrow.

Okay, so, maybe he was more annoyed before because now his face was twisted in anger. Words that sounded more like grunts and growls were spewing from his distorted mouth. Blood dripping and spitting everywhere. She made a disgusted face. He truly looked disfigured and gruesome.

They didn't have time for this. The humanoid could awake at any moment. Finishing what he started. Killing Alex. Walking over to a still word-grunting Alex, she took his bloody chin in her hands. Halting his bloody rant to stare at her in question. '' This is gonna hurt but you need to deal with it.'' She spread her fingers. Trying to locate the out of place jaw bone. Finding it she looked him in the eyes before, unexpectedly, punching him. Hard. Relocating it to its correct position. Problem fixed.

Alex's hand went to his jaw. Inspecting it. He slowly worked his jaw around. Deeming it fine. He tried speaking. '' He did not beat my ass. Look who is still standing and who is unconscious, with a dagger in his chest, on the ground?'' He said smudge. Crossing his large arms across his bulky chest.

Smirking devilishly, she couldn't help but burst his bubble a little. '' Oh, is that blade of your's not coated in a sulfosalt mineral called Hutchinsonit. Knew for its poisonous properties?'' She questioned, a knowing grin on her face.

Beneath the blood, she saw his face redden. Bullseyes. '' Hey. I'm not trying to spoil your victory dance,'' I'm totally trying to spoil your victory dance. '' But don't think me a fool.''

'' He's not even human. He argued.'' The effects probably didn't even affect him.'' He turned away from her and walked out the tent.

She followed after him. Laughing. Pushing aside the flap she stepped outside into the cool deserts night. The first thing she noticed was all the fog. It came to her hips. Thick. So thick she couldn't even see her feet. The second thing was the lack of guards around. Damn, He is good. She thought. A little in awe of Nate. He somehow managed to kill all guards that Alex had posted outside- without raising a single alarm. Impressive.

As they strolled through the camp, not a single posted guard was spotted. Anywhere. Weird. She knew that they were dead but still shouldn't there at least one dead corpse laying around. Somewhere. Where the hell were all the dead bodies? The question was answered when Alex, who was walking in front, tripped over something. They both stopped. Bending down slightly, peering hard into the fog, trying to see what he could have possibly trapped over- being that the ground was hard and flat. A man. To be more specific one of the dead guards. His head twisted completely around so that it faced towards his back. Damn, was Nate trying to take his head off?