Chapter Thirteen

Unedited

Colony Six: Military Division

Christian wanted to punch something. Anything. How dare Nathaniel leave him with these two odd women. And odd they were. The older woman-Mary- seemed to be quiet and reserved but as he watched her he noticed how well aware she was of her surrounding. The moment they enter into the district her sharp eyes focused on everything and everyone. As if she was mapping details in her head. Kinda like a soldier in a new territory would. Scanning for threats and escape routes. More than once he had followed her line of sight and saw her focusing on the buildings that had men hidden strategically on the rooftops with weapons trained on them. There was no way in hell visitors would be allowed entrance without being watched. Women or not. But he had to wonder if she was merely looking out of curiosity of the building or if she actually knew that men were there. That would mean that she had had some sort of training in order to spot them. And the files he read on her and family suggested otherwise. But still he his instincts told him to watch her.

The other odd one -Raven- was just weird. From the moment she had opened the door he knew all the information he read about her was false. Which couldn't be because their spies were the best in all the colonies? The reports said that she was overly flirtatious- well that might just be true. The constant staring and giggling she sent his way were a direct indication of that. It also stated she -unlike her sister- preferred male company to female. That she was a young woman with loose morals and no direct goals to accomplished anything other than goods the males gifted her with. Basically; a gold-digging whore. Once again his conscience said differently.

It was her big round brown eyes that told him another story. They were filled with pain and anger. Even though she had shielded them to fool the people around her; he couldn't be fooled. He knew something life altering had happened to her at her young age. Something bad. And it brothered him. Hell if he knew why. He didn't even know her. It shouldn't matter if something terrible had happened to her. She was not his to concern about. But still. He wanted to find the something or someone that had hurt her and eliminate it.

Dammit. He really didn't understand these emotions that were surfacing. Shouldn't be having them. Didn't know why he was. It had never happened before. These new and conflicting emotions were the reason why he was so angry with his partner Nathaniel for leaving him alone with her. They were dangerous to have. Feelings. Punishable by death. He had to get a handle on them. Get rid of them. But how?

Approaching a one story black bricked security building he once again nodded to the guard posted signaling to let the women enter. They would be injected with tracking devices and checked for weapons. Christian knew the women were unarmed but one could never be too cautious.

Stepping aside the soldier pressed a silver button and the door open to revealing a long lightly lit hallway. Multiply red doors on each wall. ''Second door to the right,'' he informed them. He wanted to remain outside the door but that was against protocol. He and his missing partner were to accompany them everywhere.

The mother reached out and turned the silver handle to open the door. Unlike the hallway the room was brightly lit and it spilled out to shine on the three of them. '' what the hell, if I would have known I was going to be blinded I would have worn my sunglasses.'' Raven hissed as she and her mother raised their hands to block the bright light from their eyes.

'' Raven, language.'' Her mother scolded.

'' Sorry mom,'' she then turned to face Christian with a frown on her pretty face. Pretty? Where had that come from? '' Seriously Chris, what's with the spooky long dark hall and brightly lit room.''