Chapter Thirty

Unedited

Recap of Chapter Twenty-Five

Black boots suddenly appeared in his line of sight halting all thoughts of the general. They were militant. Ankle length. Laced up in the front. Thick rubber outsole. Typical combat boots. The rebels walking around also wore them. Not something that would normally have caught his attention - but these were different. Special. They were old. Worn- out. Scuff marked. Even still he could make out the dull and faded drawings of them. The distinctive insignia on the sides of the combat boots. It was an especially designed sketch. A golden Phoenix. Issued only to the elite soldiers. The Halo.

While his mind had been distracted the awaited Caleb had arrived. Wearing one of his brothers Halo's boots. Which means one of his brothers had died by this man's hands and his shoes stolen from his lifeless corpse. Dishonoring him.

Rage overflowed him. Bursting through his body like a raging fire. Heating his blood until it boils. His mind focusing on three things. Revenge. Blood. Kill. He wanted Caleb's blood on his hands. To watch as it streamed like a river from his body. Leaving his cold stiff body behind.

Christian kept his head down. His heated green eyes focused on Caleb's stolen boots. He had to get his anger in check. He couldn't let this asshole know that he was pissed. A weakness. That could be exploited. He was certain that was Caleb's intention. Why else would he appear before Christian with one of his brother's boots? To unnerve him. Rattle him up. Hoping that he would make a mistake out of anger. Well, this bastard wasn't gonna to succeed.

Inhaling and exhaling softly. Christian closed his eyes. Slowly he felt his anger lessen. Lessen but not die out completely. Caleb will die. It will by his hands. But for now, he needed to maintain self-control. His time will come soon.

As his rage subsided clarity came. His thoughts rational once again. One stood out amongst the others. Like how in the hell was Caleb able to wear Halo's boots? Every Halo uniform and boots were DNA coded. If the DNA embedded in the clothes didn't match with the wearer's DNA it would seep out a deadly poison. The thief would die in a matter of minutes. Yet Caleb is alive and kicking. How?

'' It's very rude not to acknowledge the person in front of you,'' Wait. He knew that voice. Quickly Lifting his head Christian's shocked green eyes met with familiar silver eyes.

Nathaniel!

********************************************

Christian was nonplussed by the man named Caleb. The resemblance to his fellow Halo brother Nathaniel was uncanny. At first, he would have sworn that it was Nathaniel standing in front of him. Almost.

The similarities between the two were vast. They both shared the same intense gray eyes. Even their muscular built was damn near identical. The menacing aura that was distinctly Nathaniel's, Caleb exuded, but it was when the impostor smile at him that Christian knew, without a doubt, that this man was not his brother in arms.

Nathaniel had never grinned, smiled or smirked at anyone or thing. Ever.

Upon that realization he narrowed his eyes on Caleb's face, studying him more closely, immediately he noticed one big difference. Nathaniel had a deep knife wound on the right side on his face starting just below his ear traveling down towards his chest. Caleb had no such wound marring his face, in fact, his face is what Nathaniel's would have looked like had he not been captured and tortured many years ago.

Who the hell was this man?

The logical answer was that this man was somehow blood-related to Nathaniel. His twin brother perhaps. But that was impossible. Christian grew up with Nathaniel. Spent damn near every day with him. He would have known if Nathaniel had a brother. A twin brother at that. Right?