Chapter Twenty-Three

Unedited

Colony Six: Military District ( Underground Secret Base)

'' Wh-what did you just s-s-say?'' Raven barely got the words to pass through her trembling lips. Shock. Anger. Denial. Just like a volcano that was setting to erupt, she too was teetering on the edge of exploding. The only thing that was allowing her to keep some semblance of sanity was the denial part. There was no way her loving parents would do something so abhorrent to her and Annika. How do you bind two humans to one another? Surely she had heard wrong. There was no way that it was even possible.

'' You have to understand, we did it to protect you both,'' Her mother said. She sounded so desperate for Raven to believe her. '' We knew the watchmen would soon replace us. When that happen no longer would we have had protection. We would be like everyone else. Victims of whatever future experiment the Watchmen concocted. Your father and I were fine with them possibly taking their anger out on us. But we worried about Annika at that time. A baby. No way to defend herself against their cruelty. She would need a protector. Someone strong enough to fight for her against them, the Watchmen. Loyal. That would put her life before their own. What better guardian would there be then the watchmen's own precious Halo's.''

'' How... How would you accomplish such a thing?'' Raven's wall of denial was slowly breaking. Her mother sounded so believable. She couldn't help but begin believing.

'' I studied human behavior. Their emotions. Hate. Anger. Jealous. Love. Loyalty. And many others. I researched which emotion was stronger. And found out it depends on many variables. Their upbringing. Environment. The people they came into contact with. They all have an influence on a person. They help shape people into who they are. But I also learned that people interpret situations differently. Every person's mind is divergent. Their brains cells elucidate. So, in fact, every person is different because their minds are different. Two people placed in the exact same room will take in details differently.''

'' But that was the problem,'' Her father cut in to add. '' The human mind is unpredictable. The Halo's, although robotic-like, are still human. With human minds. A mind constantly gathers information. It learns as the body grows. Changes. That was why the treatments before weren't stable. It needed to expand along with the mind. The old treatments were stationary. Used to form babies minds. Not adults. It would be like trying to force an adult into children's clothes. They would rip apart. Burst at the seams. And in vice versa, That was what was happening to the adult Haloes. Your mother's new treatments were the adult versions. That was why the babies that were injected with it died. The serum was to advance for young minds''

'' Wait.'' Raven interrupts. '' What does any of this have to do with me and Annika. We were not injected with any baby or adult serums used to make Haloes...Right?'' Her heart was pounding. Please say no. She thought panic. She didn't feel like an emotionless robot. And her sister showed many emotions as well.

When her parents turned away to look at one another with guilty eyes, Raven's heart dropped. She felt the blood leave her face. Her legs started shaking. She felt light-headed. The room started to spin. She would have fallen to the ground if strong arms hadn't wrapped around her to keep her steady. She knew it was him. Didn't have to look back. Instead, she tried to focus on her blurry parents. She fought the waves of blackness that threaten to overcome her. She needed to know. That she wasn't some fucking science project.

'' Are we Halo?'' she asked.

Her mother eyes widen in surprise at her question. Quickly shaking her head. She moved closer towards Raven. Stopping a foot in front of her. '' No. No! You are not! Women are not allowed to be Haloes. The watchmen would have killed us all if that would have happened. We would have never done that.''