Chapter Seventeen

Unedited

There were faint lines around his eyes and two jagged scars on his face. One on his forehead and on his left cheek, other than that Alexander was a ruggedly handsome brute. His height was intimidating. He towered over Annika's five foot one frame and stood at least a head and a half over Nathaniel's six foot four body. Barrel-chested and brawny the man was a solid wall of muscle. His eyes were the color of black ink. Never had she seen eyes so dark. In many horror tales, demons were said to have black eyes; this man sure did fit that description.

No one would question that this beast of a man was a lethal weapon. Annika damn sure wasn't.

When she and Nathaniel were escorted into his large tent she almost passed the fuck out in fear. This was the leader of the Freedom Fighters? Fuck! How in the hell was she going to convince him that she supported his cause? That she wanted to fight for her and everyone's right to live freely. Impossible. Especially with the death glare, he was giving her. He stood in the center of the tent... just staring. At her. Like she was some sort of mind-blowing fascination. How badly she wanted to run and hide and Annika never ran from anything. Nathaniel, on the other hand, seemed totally oblivious to the dangerous aura Alexander emitted. He just stood there. Like a meeting was about to be held or something. Well, maybe a meeting was about to commence; a meeting about the many ways Alexander would torture and kill them.

The staring continued for few agonizing seconds until Nathaniel spoke. '' Hello Alexander. How have you been?'' What the fuck was that? Annika thought as she snapped her head in shock to stared at him like he had suddenly grown another head. Only to once again look at Alexander when he chuckled darkly. Annika remained silent. Completely confused by the two strange men. Looking from one crazy Halo soldier to another equally demented man, she was at a complete lost. Did they know one another?

'' Oh you know, Resting, enjoying the weather and...killing Halo scum here and there,'' Alexander finally answered with a taunting smirk. '' I would ask how you been but according to my most recent report you've been doing great.'' Finishing his statement and sending a quick but disturbing wink her way.

Annika face flushed red. Oh, she knew what report he was talking. How more fucking embarrassing is her life going to get.

'' Hmm, killing my brothers you say,'' Nathaniel said calmly, unbothered by the last comment. '' I couldn't help but notice the shortage of men at your disposal. Are they resting and enjoying the weather elsewhere or did the Halo scum take a few down with them.''

Eyes almost bulging out of her sockets, Annika mouth fell open in disbelief. Why was he provoking the man-beast?

All amusement disappeared from Alexander's face and his bulky body shot tense. Oh shit. '' I would be very careful what I say if I were you, Halo shit.''

'' Well, I'm not you, am I.'' Oh, my god, he's gonna get us both killed. Faster. Or worst, a slow and painful death. Annika knew she had to stop this madness when Alexander looked like he was about to bust a blood vessel as he begun moving in Nathaniel's direction. Nathaniel, on the other hand, appeared at ease almost carefree. Not at all worried about the massive giant heading his way. Did the Halo nut job forget that he was once again bound by rope? Men.

When Alexander was less than a foot away Annika stepped in front of Nathaniel. Why. She had no fucking clue. Protecting him would cease all possible talk of freedom for her he would never believe she supported his cause now. But for some strange reason, she felt the need to protect him.

Alexander halted directly in front of her a look of complete bewilderment on his face as he stared down at her. Annika felt Nathaniel move closer to her from behind. A sexy beast of a man in front of her and a panty-dropping deadly warrior in the back of her. Was it wrong for her to be turned on?