Chapter Thirty-One

Colony Six: Military District ( Underground Secret Base)

'' What the hell kind of question is that?'' Christian demanded. Green eyes blazing. '' Why do you continually mention Raven to me? She means nothing to me. I just met her yesterday for the first time.''

'' It's just a question.'' Caleb shrugged.

''It's irrelevant.''

''It's more relevant than you think.'' He said. His tone held an underlying message.

Christian ignored it. Probably more lies. '' Raven is just a job that was given.'' Why did that feel like a lie? '' No more, no less.'' Well, she was just a job until he found out that her father was the leader of the fucking Rebillons. That's probably why it felt like a lie, the moment he found out who her father was she automatically turned enemy. An enemy that would be killed. Something tightens in his chest.

Left eyebrow raised, Caleb ask. '' Then why the anger when I mention her?''

'' I was not-''

Caleb interrupts him. '' And when I told you about my mission to kill her your body stiffen like you wanted to attack me again.'' He paused only to smirk and add. '' Or at least try to attack me again. Your first attempt was less than successful.'' He knew he was pissing the proud Halo off. He needed that anger from him.

It was working. Christian was seething. He was used to receiving respect. Yet Caleb was treating him like an untrained soldier. Taunting him. Baiting him. Trying to Rattled him up. Why? What would he stand to gain from it? Maybe to get him to react again? Christian hate to admit it but attacking him would be unsuccessful. Even though he was skeptical of Caleb's history as a true Halo, he clearly had training and with himself bound he would have to wait until circumstances were more in his favor. So he chose to ignore his taunts. For now.

He instead focused on the first part of what Caleb said. 'Why the anger when I mention her?' Instantly, he went to deny it. To remind Caleb that it was not emotions that caused him to attack but his instincts, but at the same time, he had to ask himself, if it was his battle instincts why would they have surfaced so strongly for her?

The sudden need to protect her confused him. Raven is of no importance to him. Hell, she was of no importance to anyone. She lived in a district of ne'er-do-wells and valueless people that offered no assistance to their colony. In a word they were useless. She was useless. Not to mention knowing who her father really was. Knowing all this his body still reacted without thinking when Caleb mention harming or holding her. Just like earlier when she became hysterical over the bugs he didn't think, just reacted. Weapons were aimed at him as he fought to be by her side. To help her. Soothe her.

Why? Why does this child-women affect him so much?

Christian, for the first time in his life, was truly bewildered. He didn't know what to think. Had no answers to his or Caleb questions. There had to be a logical explanation to why he reacted so unlike himself. He just didn't know what it was.

As if reading his mind Caleb spoke. '' The thought of me or anyone else touching or harming her sent you into a jealous rage. You were jealous at the thought of me touching her and pissed at the thought of me harming her. All of this is because you have developed feelings for Raven.''

'' No. Your wrong'' Christian repudiated. ''How can I have feelings for her when there is nothing inside of me that would allow it? You said you were a Halo, right? you know we feel nothing but the need to fight and protect the order.''

''True. Then again you and Nathaniel are not like other Halo's.'' Caleb said.

Christian frown. What the hell was he talking about? He voiced his thought.