Chapter Twenty-five

Unedited

Christian Pov

Pain is a weakness.

A punch connected to the right side of his head.

Weakness is not allowed.

A hard right punch to the left side of his face.

The Halo have no weakness.

A booted kick to the ribs.

Therefore they feel no pain.

Christian was mentally repeating that phrase. A mantra. Infancy to adulthood every Halo was taught to recite it during torture. To maintain their honor. And as one of the top ranking Haloes, Christian would rather die before sullying his honor. Every punch. Kick. Shallow cut that was delivered to him did not weaken his resolve. It's not like this was his first torture session. It damn sure isn't going to be his last. The pain was an illusion. Felt only by the weak minded. Not one such as him. One of the best among the best. These bastards torture techniques were feeble compared to others. In truth, he barely feels them. If they wanted information they weren't getting it from him. Death would come before he betrayed his superiors. His brothers.

'' This bastard isn't gonna talk. Look at him,'' A white, brown-haired man named Dallas, said breathlessly. Waving a tired arm towards Christian. '' An hour of beating the shit out of him and nothing. He's not even blinking. It's said they don't feel pain. I believe it... We should just put a fucking bullet in his head and be done with it.'' Bending over he placed his hands on his knees trying to catch his breath. That's what happens when you continually use someone as a punching bag. Especially if that person had a body built like a rock. Sweat was dripping from his red face onto the ground.

'' We were told to rough him up a little not kill him, Blödmann.'' That was the second man in the room, a German, named Audwine. He was breathing heavily to but not as bad as his friend. '' We have to wait for Caleb. Do you want to go and report to the General that you disobeyed his orders?'' He said. His eyebrow raised slightly.

By the way, Dallas' face paled a little Christain already knew the answer. Hell no. Dallas started stuttering like the coward he was. Quickly trying to explain how he meant that is was what they should do, not what they were going to do. So there was no need to report anything to the General.

Christian took interest in the man's fear of the General. Blocking out the discussion he retreated into his mind.

The General. The leader of the Freedom Fighters... And Raven's Father. Her dead father. No wonder no one could find the freedom fighters leader- who would think to look for a dead man. And he built his hideout under the military district. The one place no soldier or Halo would think to look. Right under your enemy's base. How stupid. Foolish. It was brilliant. The man was unique. And his wife, Mary, was just as unique as her husband. A true mistress of deception. She had deceived not one but two Halo soldiers. He was truly impressed by both of them.

Whoever wrote their file clearly did not research the family properly- or the women were good at fooling others too... But Raven had seemed unknowing. The way her eyes had widen and her breathing paused when her father revealed himself suggested shock. Not deceit. Her hectic behavior to the tunnel bugs also told that she had never traveled in it before. Nor was she prepare to. That meant her mother and father hid the truth from her. Raven must be pissed. She seems like the type to be led by her emotions. Which means there is a possible opening for his escape through her. He would just have to-.

Another kick to his ribs ripped him out of thoughts of escaping. '' Hey, Halo bitch. Stop zoning out on us.'' Dallas yelled.

Christian hissed. Not in pain. But frustration. The moment he was freed he was gonna snap that bastard's neck. His ankles and wrist were shackled with what looked like iron prison manacles. Very old world but none the less effective. They limited his walking and hand movements. Even with their heavy weight and prevention of certain movements, he could have gotta free but the added security was problematic. Asshole one and two never left him alone. Not even to take a piss. They were idiots but very good guard dogs. Taking the two down would be easy but the struggle might alert the others. Others whom had plenty of guns. He needed to escape and report this discovery to the Watchmen. Which meant snapping of necks would have to wait. For now.