Chapter 8

The drums were beating, and Selcan Hatun had returned to the tribe, pleasing Ayse hatun, but not Zohre hatun.

Selcan hatun got off her horse and walked toward Ayse who ran to greet her aunt, kissing her hand and touching it to her forehead before hugging her. Selcan turned towards Aygul who greeted her next and then Burcin.

"Welcome Selcan Hatun," Zohre Hatun forced out, clearly annoyed and somewhat scared.

"What happened, Zohre Hatun? Your face turned white."

Aygul looked to her mother as she spoke, "We are surprised Hatun. Thanks to Allah we came together."

She nodded and looked between the four women, "Eh, I met all the women. Where is my Fierce Ceyda?"

Aygul frowned and Zohre faked one. She knew she couldn't say bitter words about Ceyda in front of Selcan. She would catch her and become suspicious.

"She hasn't returned," explained Burcin.

"Returned? From where? Where did she go?"

"Obviously you think too highly of Ceyda. She disrespected and raised her hand to her elders, trashed the rug house and left without fixing anything. And so, my Dundar Bey exiled her," Zohre explained bitterly.

Aygul shook her head and scoffed, "Disrespected her elders? How could she respect them after what they said?" She didn't say more as she knew what Selcan would do if she heard the whole story.

"What? That doesn't sound like her. What did you do, Zohre? How did Dundar Bey exile Ceyda whom he considers his own daughter?" Selcan demanded.

"Things are not the same anymore. People change, Selcan Hatun. You know that best, don't you?"

Selcan glared at Zohre. "Where is she now?"

"She's been gone for five days. Who knows?"

Selcan sighed. She wouldn't get any useful answer from Zohre. She decided to ask Bamsi or Konur alp later. "And where is my dark-eyed Osman?"

No one answered. "I heard it! Tell me, you put my Osman in the caged tent!"

Zohre scoffed, "So Sogut's mountains spoke to you."

"Every creature talks when they face Selcan Hatun don't you know, Zohre Hatun? Tell me, where is my Osman?"

"Dundar Bey thought a caged tent would be a punishment for him, but he punished himself. Now only Allah knows where he is."

Selcan controlled her anger and replied with a smile, "My Osman must know something as he was wise when he was a child."

Zohre smirked at Selcan's fantasy. "Bring me ayran, Aygul. I am thirsty," Selcan ordered and Aygul agreed, giving one last glare to her mother.

The women stood there for a bit when Zohre Hatun offered, "Come in." Selcan gazed at her Ertugrul Ghazi's tent longingly but agreed anyway.

---

Selcan and Zohre were talking inside when the drums started beating once again. Osman and Konur had arrived, bringing along two beaten and tired captives. They came out of the tent as everyone surrounded Osman. Selcan smiled gratefully; she was glad to see her son.

Osman walked over to Bamsi with a victorious look on his face.

"Who are they?" asked Bamsi.

"They are snakes, Bamsi Bey," answered Konur.

Bamsi looked confused and turned to Osman who walked towards him, "I... I have an entrustment that weighs my shoulder down, Bamsi Bey. These infidels are the killers of my brother Aybars."