Chapter 43

The drums at the entrance of the Kayi Tribe were beating, signalling someone's arrival, and Dundar, Zohre, Aygul, Ceyda, and Saltuk rode in, trotting towards the front of Ertugrul Bey's marquee where the Kayi Bey was standing expectantly. A few miles before the pavilion, the family dismounted their horses and walked towards the marquee, greeted happily by a few while others gaped at them. Aygul raised her head and smiled at those who greeted them while Ceyda maintained a straight face. They stopped midway as Dundar spread out his arms. "Allahim... May my Allah never separate one from his motherland. InshaAllah, my Allah Who helped me get back to my tribe will help me take my revenge."

Ceyda spread out her fingers and balled her fist to stop her from arguing while Aygul continued smiling and agreed with her father. They continued towards the front of the marquee, staring up at Gunduz who stood on the porch, watching.

Ceyda gave a quick nod to Gunduz, and he returned it, grateful she came back with them without arousing suspicion. He then raised his head at his uncle, "Emmi... How could you come to this tribe?"

Dundar smirked, "How could you stand before me? You sat on my seat thinking that I'm dead and now you are asking questions." Gunduz glared at him and made his way down the steps, sizing Dundar up.

"We know you work with Alisar," Gunduz declared. "Alps saw you with Alisar at Batur's funeral. I warn you. Don't lie more and embarrass yourself." 

"I... found the killers of my son thanks to Alisar Bey. What did you do, huh? What did you do?! You tried my daughter and wife! If you traced my claims, I wouldn't have to ally with Alisar Bey."

Ceyda squeezed her eyes. Dundar thought Balgay was Batur's killer, but she knew he wasn't. Though Balgay was cruel, a Mongol nonetheless, her gut told her he didn't kill Batur.

Gunduz looked confused too. "What are you saying, emmi ? Who is Batur's killer? How did you find out?"

"You thought of asking this now? You left me alone with my pain. Alisar Bey and I found Balgay and the warriors with him." Gunduz jerked his head to Dundar, then Ceyda who shook her head slightly, denying it. "I took the revenge of my child with these hands. What did you do? What did you do?"

Gunduz held out his hand, "Wait. Wait, emmi. Breathe. Let's think about it calmly."

"Let me tell you what you did. You sent my daughter and my wife to Alisar Bey's mansion to be in their need there! If it wasn't enough, you tried to take my life! That too by risking your own cousin's and my niece's life!"

Gunduz looked away as Dundar continued, "We are all here. If you are still saying it was not enough, take our lives as well."

"It was not without a reason that Zohre Hatun and Aygul were sent to the mansion."

"I know. I'm aware of everything, but before we make a judgement and decide someone is a traitor, we listen to them first according to the laws. And we don't slander anyone without understanding the reason for their actions." He glanced at Zohre. "Zohre Hatun did those to look for a relief, not to endanger the tribe." Gunduz shook his head as Dundar continued, "If there is a judgement to be made, I will make it! There are questions to be asked and answers to be given, and they all have time. From now on, Dundar Bey won't leave this matter. Know this... Know this." With that, Dundar gave one last glare to Gunduz before turning around and heading towards his marquee followed by Zohre and Aygul, who took Ceyda's arm and followed her father.

---

"Make yourselves comfortable at the tribe. I will go to meet some Beys who care about the tribe's future. Excuse me," Dundar informed when they reached the front of their marquee, giving a quick nod to the three Hatuns and walking off. Ceyda watched after him, wondering if she should see who these Beys were when Aygul grabbed her attention.