Chapter 23

Ceyda gazed at all of them, recording their images in her mind, smiled at them to wash away their worries and walked out of the tent.

"No, Ceyda. Come back! Ceyda!" Batur and Boran cried, suppressing the pain from their wounds.

Konur shut his eyes and held back his tears, and Selcan let out a deep breath. "Allah, protect the deli kiz."

"Ameen," Abdurrahman Ghazi and Gunduz agreed.

---

"Kongar, go call Ceyda. We are leaving," Balgay ordered after speaking with Osman about the laws of Genghis Khan.

Kongar nodded and headed for the prisoner tent. When he entered, the prisoners gave him dirty looks. "Isn't it time for you to leave yet?" Samsa Cavus complained.

Kongar ignored him and looked around, "Where's Ceyda?"

"What is your business with my niece?" Selcan snapped.

"She's not your niece anymore. She's Balgay's daughter. Now shut up. Where is Ceyda?"

They were quiet. Kongar was getting furious. "Where is she?!"

"You told us to shut up," Boran excused.

Kongar started for Boran when Selcan intervened, "A Mongol came and told her Balgay asked for her."

"And she went with him?"

"Well, yeah. Isn't she a Mongol now?" Boran spat.

Kongar growled, "I said I would call her if Balgay needed her... Where is she now?"

"With the soldier..."

Kongar left the tent in a hurry while Selcan and the others shared concerned looks. "If he didn't call her, then who did?"

---

"Where is Balgay?" Ceyda demanded.

"Not far," the soldier replied, leading her away from the tribe.

"Didn't he go in the tent?"

"Yes, but he left. He told me to call you."

Ceyda nodded sarcastically. "He did?"

"I'll call you if Balgay needs you," she remembered Kongar say.

Ceyda pretended to trip over a rock, making the soldier stop and turn to help her. She took her opportunity and kicked him in the shins. The soldier groaned and fell. Ceyda pinned him to the ground and brought her dagger to his neck. "Liar! Do you know what I do to liars? This..." she slowly slit his throat and let him go as blood poured onto the ground, and he dropped.

A few seconds later, Kongar came running. He froze when he saw the twitching soldier on the ground and the dagger smeared with blood in Ceyda's hand. "Why did you go with him when I told you I would call you?"

"To expose this traitor," she stated matter-of-factly. "You're welcome," she sarcastically bowed.

Kongar smirked, "Come on, we're leaving."