Chapter 10

TWO DAYS AGO...

Ceyda headed for Dundar Bey's marquee when she felt dizzy and the world became blurry. "Those who threaten my life don't live long enough to regret what they did," a familiar voice swore. Zohre lowered the log in her hand and watched Ceyda fall to the ground, her dark eyes slowly closing into a world of darkness.

"Saltuk!" Zohre called.

"Yes, Zohre hatun," Saltuk replied, rushing over to her then gasped in shock when he saw who was on the ground. "What happened?"

"Let's just say...she fell," Zohre snarled, dropping the log she held.

Saltuk watched in horror as blood pooled around Ceyda's head, some of it splattered on the log.

"Now, put her on her horse and far from the tribe. No one should know what happened. Do not involve anyone else, got it?" Saltuk nodded slowly and hesitantly. "Go."

He gently lifted her head to hide her face and then checked to see if anyone was around. They were at the end of the tribe where Zohre goes to pick herbs. Only a few people roamed around this area. When the coast was clear, he put her down and went to get her horse.

Zohre looked at the girl she raised. Deep in those hateful eyes, there was affection. Love for Ceyda. Even though Zohre hated what Ceyda had done to her and the Rug House, there was a part of her that was proud of her niece whom she considered a daughter. She never knew when Ceyda's punches became so powerful. Zohre never had time to watch Ceyda train. She wanted to, but she had to set an example for the rest of the tribe. If she let the girls go train like Alps, who would run the Rug House? So, she pretended she never cared.

"Ceyda, I loved you so much, but you never loved me. Now you will not remember anyone. Everyone who took you away from me will not be able to... not again." Saltuk returned without a horse, making Zohre furrow her brow. "What happened? Where's the horse?" she questioned, quickly switching her attitude.

"Hanim, it's not there," he informed.

"Goddammit. Then find one that looks like Ceyl- it." He nodded and ran back. After a few minutes, he returned with a light brown horse. Zohre shook her head, "That looks nothing like her horse."

"It was the only one I could find."

Zohre sighed. "Fine, come on. Hurry!"

Saltuk laid Ceyda on the horse while Zohre looked around to check for people. "Now, go and put it in the forest. No one should suspect me, and make it look real!" Saltuk gulped and nodded. He was about to leave with the horse when Zohre called him again. "Saluk...you didn't see anything, and you don't know anything...right?"

"Of course, Zohre Hatun."

"Good, now go, and clean this up when you get back. There shouldn't be a single piece of evidence." Zohre glanced at the blood that stained the log and ground. Saltuk nodded once more and headed to the forest as Zohre walked back to the tribe, rubbing off the blood that stained her hands. "Ana?" Zohre widened her eyes and quickly hid her hands behind her back, then forced a smile. "Yes, Aygul."

Aygul furrowed her brow at her mother's weird expression. "We... we finished cleaning up the Rug House."

"Great, kizim. Now let's go back to your father's marquee."

"What are you doing here? Why aren't you in the marquee? You left me alone with that Bala Hatun."

"I was just picking some herbs...for her."

"But I thought you said you had enough."

"For later...we had to use what we had on Bala."

Aygul looked at her mother suspiciously, peering at the hands she was hiding, "What's in your hand?"