Chapter 45

"You said what?!" Konur yelled, nearly jumping up from shock before Ceyda shushed him. "I told you, I was forced to. Or else, they wouldn't have believed me," she defended after informing Konur of her incident with Selcan Hatun and Bala, leaving out most of Alisar.

"And she slapped you?"

"I knew I had gone too far... so I deserved it. But really yenge? How did you think I meant it?"

"After what you told me, I don't think anyone could have disbelieved it. Vai Ceyda, I didn't think your words could be as sharp as your swo-"

"Don't say it. I've heard that enough today."

Konur smirked, "And then you lost the princess?"

"I didn't lose her... I was talking to her, and then she disappeared."

"That's the-I'm not even going to... And they blamed you for it? I wonder how suspicious you must have looked."

"I was not-"

"What do you mean she was losing it, Boran?!" Ceyda and Konur heard Osman yelling, and Ceyda stared at the ground, both flushed and angry Boran was getting scolded again because of her. "How could you bring her out here? You know it's dangerous! If those Mongols get to her and brainwash her again, she could never come back! Leave the Mongols, Dundar Bey and Zohre Hatun may find out, then all our games will be ruined!" Osman glared at Boran who hung his head in frustration and embarrassment, muttering apologies after apologies. Osman sighed, "Take her back to the tribe quickly."

Boran nodded, placing his hand on his chest and readying their horses, giving a quick nod to Ceyda who nodded back slowly, drowned in her thoughts. "No one wants me..."

Konur pressed his lips together, then sighed, "It's not like that, Ceyda."

Ceyda did not hear him. She remembered Selcan's slap and scolds and Bala's disgusted looks. She remembered how Aygul never ran after her after she left the Rug House and Dundar and Burcin's suspicious glances at her. She remembered her mother's silence around her and Boran hesitating on bringing her along to Osman. Now, Osman didn't want her either. She would go back to the tribe where her image must have been destroyed because of her insults to Selcan and Bala and where neither of her closest companions, Konur and Boran, would be around.

But maybe she didn't have to go back to the tribe. Maybe she could stay with Konur a little longer.

"Konur?" Ceyda called, shaking out of her thoughts.

"Hmm?"

"Can I accompany you when you reveal the truth to Kon-Goktug?"

Konur stared at her for a few seconds, his brows knitting together as he made sense of what she requested. He watched her suspiciously. "Why?"

"Is that a yes?"

"Tell me why," he repeated, wondering if it was to see his brother.

"Because... well I already know Kong- I mean Goktug, and if he tries anything I'll know how to calm him," Ceyda half-lied, concealing the fact that she wanted to be with Konur.

Konur clenched his jaw. So she is going for my brother. "You'll have to ask Osman Bey, but I don't think he would let you. You need to go back to Dundar Bey and keep an eye on his family anyway."

"Even you don't want me."

Konur tutted and reached out his hand for hers but she moved it away. "It's fine." Ceyda sprang to her feet and strode over to her horse.

"Where are you going?" Osman asked, walking over to her and calming her now riled-up horse. Ceyda side-eyed him, "Back to the tribe like you said."

Osman sighed, "You can stay for the night... but you are going back with Boran first thing tomorrow morning, okay?"