Chapter 39

Ceyda ran through the forest to her mother's cries. After about five minutes, she spotted a way out and heard her mother talking. "Not only your son went into the soil, but Osman also buried your reputation."

She panted out of the forest, "Ana! "

Zohre, Dundar, and Aygul jerked their heads to the familiar voice and gasped. Alisar balled his fist and glared at his soldiers. He had given them an earful about letting Ceyda out of their sight earlier and even sent out some soldiers to find her. When Dundar and his family would see he had brought Ceyda safe and sound, they would trust him more, but the soldiers ruined everything.

Ceyda grinned and threw her arms around her mother, "I missed you so much, ana'im. So much." Zohre was speechless but more than grateful for Ceyda's return. She wrapped her arms around her and hugged her tight, not wanting to let go of yet another child. After embracing Zohre, Ceyda glanced around to see her uncle and Aygul. She then noticed the grave Zohre was sitting by and recognized the burk and sword of Batur near it. She reached out a shaky hand and smoothed the still, fresh soil on Batur's grave. Aygul rubbed Ceyda's shoulders, restraining her yearning of embracing her cousin, whom she considered closer than a sister.

"Ağabeyimiz gitti, Aygul," Ceyda cried. "Gitti... gitti." She could no longer hold in her sadness. Batur's grave was in front of her, and his body was buried under it. "Are your sky eyes buried under the dark soil, benim yiğit abi'im?! " Ceyda shrieked grabbing fistfuls of the soil as she neared her head to the grave. Aygul wiped off the tears that were now falling and bent down to calm Ceyda. She brought Ceyda's head on her chest and embraced her as they cried in each other's arms. Dundar watched Ceyda and Aygul then balled his fist and slowly picked up Batur's sword. "I swear on my son's corpse... that I will rip off Osman's arms who killed him. The babies that see what I do with him will have gray hair out of fear." Ceyda slowly pulled herself together and watched Dundar. "I will make a road out of heads of the ones that don't follow him, and I'll walk on it." Aygul gulped, blinking back tears. "I'll pile their headless bodies and make a mountain so that the ones asking for mercy for the ones who killed my Batur, will take a lesson from it."

Ceyda narrowed her eyes at him, then started to get up when Aygul held her back. "Let it go, bacim. Let it go for now," Aygul whispered, and Ceyda was too weak to fight back and agreed.

"Come on, Hatun," Dundar told Zohre. After giving Batur's grave one last longing look, she got up. "Aygul, Ceyda, come on."

Aygul nudged Ceyda slightly, but she shook her head. "You go on."

"I'm not leaving you again, Ceyda," Aygul said sternly. She could not lose another sibling. Another beloved one. She would not. "I'll stay with Ceyda, baba. We will come back together."

Dundar looked hesitant but nodded. "Aygul Hatun, it may be dangerous. Come with us. Don't be stubborn," Alisar jumped in.

Ceyda eyed Alisar suspiciously and looked between him and Aygul. He looked genuinely concerned. What is up with him now? Ceyda decided to ask Aygul later.

"It's alright, Alisar Bey," Aygul reassured blankly.

Alisar gave a noticeable sigh, then gestured for some of his soldiers to stay. Zohre smiled at Ceyda once more before heading back to the kiosk with Dundar and Alisar.

After they left, Ceyda faced Aygul, "Do you believe Osman killed him?"

Aygul thought about this. Osman said he killed Dundar, but her father was alive... because of Alisar, Aygul thought, not knowing whether to be grateful or angry. Batur betrayed Osman... maybe Osman wanted to take revenge and-