Chapter 40

"You never cared about me, did you?"

Kongar maneuvered to her, pointing his sword at her heart. "He won't keep you for long. He only cares for himself. He's playing with you for his own benefit. You will come back, Ceyda. You will come back to me. He will hurt you, and you will run back to me. Because deep down, you and I both know...You...love...m-"

"Hayir! " Ceyda shrieked, jolting awake from her traumatizing nightmare, Kongar's dangerous voice still echoing in her mind. "You will come back to me."

Aygul handed over the bowl of water she poured after watching Ceyda twitch and mumble in her sleep. Ceyda took it and gulped it down quickly, panting after drinking.

"Nightmare?" Aygul asked, rubbing Ceyda's back to calm her.

Ceyda nodded. "It was him..."

"Who?"

Ceyda shut her eyes and rubbed her temple, trying to get rid of the deep echoing. "Just someone with Balgay... Anyways, what did my uncle talk about?"

Aygul looked as though she would further question her nightmare but decided not to yet. It might stress her out. "He was just ranting about how he's not going to let Osman take over... with Alisar Bey's help. Then, he went to meet with Alisar."

Ceyda could feel the hate in Aygul's voice when she mentioned Alisar. "My uncle is right," Ceyda declared.

Aygul looked at her, surprised yet confused. Ceyda continued, mustering all the hate she could towards Osman, "Osman was not right to take away Dundar Bey's beylic. This is not the law. Dundar emmi is right."

Aygul slowly nodded although there was a part of her that wanted Ceyda to go against him. Osman grew up with them. They knew him so well. Just like that, they knew Osman would never kill Batur or do something without a reason. "Ceyda, you should rest more. I need some fresh air."

Ceyda nodded and watched Aygul leave. "Ah kardesim, I can see the guilt you feel in your eyes. I wish it didn't have to be this way. I wish there was no fight between brothers, between families." She sighed, then started getting up. She wasn't tired anymore. Ceyda walked out of the room and gazed at the kiosk. She could not see anything outside the stone walls. There were no people, except for servants and soldiers, no animals, except for the fish in the tiny fountain, and no trees.

There was no life.

It was quiet except for the sound of flowing water from the fountain, and it was sadly empty. "How can someone live here?" Ceyda thought out loud, analyzing the mansion. She then spotted Alisar coming over to the fountain and backed away a little. Aygul was sitting by it and stood up in respect when he came over. Ceyda could see the gaze on Alisar's face and the uncomfortable expression on Aygul's. Ceyda tutted, "This Mongol's dog is trying my moon-eyed sister now? Allah, give me patience."

Ceyda could not hear their conversation, but it seemed as though Alisar was giving Aygul advice. After some time, Ceyda saw Zohre Hatun standing by the balcony across her, staring down at Aygul and Alisar. Zohre did not notice Ceyda, and Ceyda moved away so she was not visible. Alisar gestured for one of his men to come over, and he brought a small, rectangular, wooden box. Alisar took it and held it in front of Aygul. He opened the box, and Ceyda peered to see what was inside. Aygul stared down at the box, looking hesitant. She then took it and pulled out a ruby red and silver necklace.

Ceyda gasped. How dare that Mongol's dog play games with my sister?

Aygul nodded at Alisar but looked uninterested in the jewelry. After giving one last gaze to Aygul, Alisar left. Zohre, as Ceyda noticed, was gone too. Ceyda took her chance and marched down the steps of the balcony to Aygul.