Chapter 36

Later that night, Osman invited Ceyda to discuss their attack on Balgay with Bamsi Bey, Samsa Cavus, and Abdurrahman Ghazi. They decided they would split up since Balgay would be going to the Ingeol border, and there would be some warriors there. Ceyda, Samsa Bey and his alps, would attack the Mongols at the Inegol border while and Osman Bey would attack Balgay on his way there with his alps, Bamsi Bey and Abdurrahman Ghazi. After discussing their plans, Ceyda never left Konur's side. Though hesitantly at first, she pushed away all thoughts of Kongar, Balgay, and her mother. However, her mind was still on Batur.

"Are you even listening to me?" Konur inquired, squinting his eyes at her. She didn't respond. "Ceyda," he nudged her slightly, and she flinched.

"What?"

Konur sighed, "I was telling you that we're going to trap Balgay. Are you coming with us?"

"Balgay..." That means Kongar will be there too, or Goktug. It's good Osman Bey sent me with Samsa Cavus. "You go on."

Konur nodded, even though he wanted to fight with her like before, but he knew she had to fully heal first. "So, you're going to the tribe? Okay, alps should accompany you."

Ceyda was still distracted by her thoughts about Batur, so she absent-mindedly nodded.

Konur was taken aback. He was expecting a glare or an argument. "When you go back to the tribe, you should also abandon your weapons and help with the rug house," Konur tested, now smirking as he imagined Ceyda's reaction.

Ceyda said nothing and continued staring into the distance, nodding unconsciously.

Konur sighed. She wasn't listening again. "I guess you won't be needing these then," he pulled out the dagger from her belt, and she snapped into reality, "What are you doing? Give them back."

"What are you thinking about?"

"I'm not-"

"No secrets."

Ceyda sighed in defeat. "Batur," she confessed.

Konur furrowed his brow, and she continued, "I'm scared something happened to him."

"Why? I'm sure he's fine."

"I can't explain it, but I know something's wrong."

Konur noticed the desperate look in her eye and gave her back her weapons, "InshaAllah, he is fine. I'm sure he'll be there when you go back to the tribe with the alps... and help around the rug house."

"InshaAllah... what?"

Konur snickered and followed Osman Bey out of the cave, knowing Ceyda would follow him out. Ceyda shook her head, smiling, then went after Konur, "Wait."

---

Ceyda, Samsa Cavus and his alps hid behind the bushes near the Inegol border, secretly watching the Mongols. Ceyda saw Cerkutay and smirked, "As he is the head of this group, it will be easy to defeat them."

Samsa Cavus smirked back and signalled the attack. "Allah-u-Akbar!" they shouted, charging into battle as the soldiers frantically readied themselves for the surprise attack. Samsa Cavus went straight for Cerkutay as Ceyda and the rest of the alps sliced through the other soldiers. Ceyda was on her fourth soldier by the time she noticed Samsa Cavus wounded Cerkutay's arm. Before he could attack again, more soldiers came in his way, and Cerkutay found his chance to flee.

Ceyda sliced through two more soldiers and ran after Cerkutay. She raised her sword and attacked him. He blocked her attack and they pushed each other's swords against the other. "It was not smart to betray Balgay, deli kiz," Cerkutay sneered.