Chapter 28

Batur cut Ceyda's ropes and brought her hands in his, "Ceyda, wake up. We are going hunting, come on."

Ceyda's breathing was heavy and Batur could hear what she was mumbling.

"Hayir... yapma. Leave them... leave them. B-baba. Baba, no. Baba!" Ceyda woke with a jolt, tears streaming down her face. "Baba'im...how could they hurt you? How could they kill you?" She sobbed. Batur's eyes started to become watery. He would always cry whenever his siblings cried. Ceyda's heartbreaking sobs were too much for him to handle. "Shh, it's okay. It was just a dream. You're okay." He laid Ceyda's head on his chest and rubbed her back, murmuring soothing words to calm her.

Ceyda stiffened and roughly moved away from Batur. "Bırak! Bırak beni!" She struggled to break free of Batur's grip. "Ceyda, stop! Calm down, it's me! Batur. Your brother, Batur. Shh, calm down."

"Liar! Liar! You will hurt me! You will kill me! Just like you killed them..."

"Ceyda, enough. Look, now you are hurting me. Please, stop. Ceyda!" Batur reflexively pushed her away roughly, and there was a slight thud as she hit the wall. He quickly checked to see if there was any serious injury, but she pushed him away again. "You are hurting me! You liar!"

"Cey-"

"What's going on here?" Konur questioned. Osman had finally convinced him to stay behind. 

Batur struggled to hold Ceyda's wrists and stop her from punching him. "Konur, help me. She woke up from a nightmare and now she thinks I will hurt her. Ceyda, enough!"

Konur quickly ran to stop Ceyda, "What are you doing? Huh? Don't you recognize your brother?! Come on, stop this!" He grabbed Ceyda's hands when he realized they were untied. "Who untied her?" He glared at Batur who tried looking away from Konur. "Why would you untie her? She's dangerous!"

"She's my sister!"

"Not anymore. Now, she's Balgay's daughter."

"No, Konur. She's Ceyda. Your friend, Ceyda. Stop this nonsense."

"You're telling me to stop my nonsense. What about her? Remember what she said?!"

Batur sighed heavily and was about to snap at him when Ceyda started sobbing again.

"Ah, Baba! I could not protect you from them! They killed you... now they will kill me! But I will not allow it." Ceyda broke free of Konur and Batur's grips and grabbed a rock. She raised it high and threw it at Batur who ducked a second before it hit him. 

"Are you crazy?!"

Ceyda screamed and grabbed another rock when Konur slapped her. "ENOUGH!"

Ceyda took a moment to process what had happened and dropped the rock. She clutched her cheek and buried her face in her hands, weeping. "Baba, where are you? Look how they are hurting me. They will kill me too. Just like they killed you."

Konur looked at the hand he slapped Ceyda with fearfully as Batur watched them both with concern. "Allah, what is happening to us?"

Konur watched a petrified Ceyda and reached out a shaky hand on her arm. "Enough...it's over." He gently removed Ceyda's hands and held her face, softly rubbing where he hit her. It was red now. Konur shut his eyes and a tear fell. "I'm sorry." He slowly brought Ceyda onto his chest to ensure she was comfortable and inhaled her sweet, lily scent.