Chapter 22

Ceyda furrowed her brow. For a second, she could have sworn she saw more than just hate in Kongar's icy blue eyes when he looked at Konur. She pushed aside the thought and knelt to help Konur. Then, she realized she couldn't because the Mongols were watching her every move. She turned to the Mongols, "Well don't just stand there. Get over here and raise him."

They obeyed and roughly grabbed Konur, making him wince a little. "Gently. We don't want to kill him," Ceyda scolded.

The Mongols lifted Konur to his post while Ceyda reluctantly chained his hands. "Get some water."

"Why?"

"..Oh, um I don't know. Let's see hmm maybe because-I SAID SO!"

The Mongols quickly nodded and ran to get the water while Boran and Batur contained their laughter.

"Ceyda bacim, you made them run like rats," Gunduz commented with a smile.

"This is no time for jokes, my sons," Selcan scolded, hiding her own smile.

"Konur?" Ceyda gently tapped his face in means of waking him. Tears fell down her cheeks when he wasn't waking up. "Konur? Konur, wake up."

Konur groaned and opened his eyes a little. "Kardesim," he mumbled.

"Kardes?"

Konur opened his eyes but was still weak. "Ceyda..." he smiled. The twinkle in her eyes was enough to make him forget about all the troubles in the world.

Ceyda sighed in relief and thanked Allah. She then punched Konur, hard enough to make him wince but soft enough not to bruise him. "Why did you continue talking? My head would have fallen off my neck warning you, but you wouldn't have noticed because you were too busy begging for that Kongar to hurt you."

"Ana, look. Ceyda punched me," Konur tattle-tailed in a falsely hurt voice.

Selcan chuckled as she remembered their childhood.

"Oh please, stop being dramatic. Now, wipe that goofy grin off your face and apologize. Do you know how much you hurt me?"

"You'll kill him with guilt, Ceyda," Boran sniggered. "By the way...speaking of that Kongar."

"Yes?" Ceyda mumbled, distracted by studying Konur's wounds.

"He seems to care a lot for you..."

Ceyda scoffed, "He just doesn't want to get in trouble with Balgay."

"Really? Because it seems like he doesn't want you to get in trouble with Balgay."

"What does that mean?" she laughed, still distracted.

"We were watching...and laughing...from the posts when Osman Bey was talking with Balgay. Kongar wouldn't let go of you for a second."

"Well... Balgay does consider me his daughter and Kongar his son. So obviously, he thinks of me as a sister...or a child."

"Daughter-in-law..."

"What was that?"

"Stop bothering the poor girl, Boran. Where are those rats- Mongols? Did they find water yet?" said Selcan.