Chapter 27

"Kardes, you stay here. I will bring Ceyda," Batur said as Konur nodded. He went inside the tent to see a frozen Ceyda. Ceyda jerked her head to the soldier who came and pulled out her weapon. "Shh. Ceyda...it's me, Batur."

Ceyda sighed in relief and put away her sword. She handed over the laws to Batur, "Abi, you take it. Give it to Osman. There are still some things I have to look into here."

Batur refused to take the laws, "You need to give it to Osman. Come on, we are leaving."

Ceyda shook her head, "Please, I have to stay here."

"How many times do I have to tell you? You don't have to do anyth-"

"I need to... please."

Batur could feel the desperation in her voice and eyes. He didn't know what to do. He sighed and nodded. Right when he was about to take the laws, someone covered Ceyda's mouth with a cloth. Ceyda struggled to break free before fainting. Konur grabbed Ceyda before she fell and put her arm around him as Batur watched in horror. "Why did you do that?!"

"Be quiet, Batur. I did what was necessary. Now, help me take her out. We're leaving."

Batur reluctantly put Ceyda's other arm around him, and they followed Osman out of the camp.

---

"Search every place!" Balgay ordered in rage. "Ceyda!" he called. She was the one who stood guard in front of the tent. If there was a traitor, she would have got them. He arrived at the front of his tent. Ceyda wasn't there. He looked around but saw no sign of her nearby. He entered the tent, but there was no one there either except for a dead soldier's body on the ground. The laws and dagger were gone because someone stole them. He lost face in front of the Mongol heads, and his daughter was nowhere to be seen. He bellowed in anger and stomped on the dead body.

---

Osman, Batur and Konur, carrying an unconscious Ceyda, ran to the nearest exit. Mongols jumped in front of them and blocked their way, so they unsheathed their swords and revealed their faces. Konur and Batur laid Ceyda against a tree. The Mongols raised their swords to attack when arrows pierced their flesh and killed them all. Boran, Dumrul and Ayaz alp revealed their faces and stood from their hiding spot in the bushes. Osman and Batur smiled at them, and they returned the smile. Suddenly, two Mongols came swinging their swords from behind when Osman effortlessly sliced through them both.

They regrouped and Boran brought the chest. Osman took the dagger out and placed it inside. He then remembered Ceyda had the laws and saw that she was unconscious, "Ceyda?"

"I did it, Bey," Konur spoke up.

Osman gave him a confused look and knelt beside Ceyda to feel her breathing.

"I didn't kill her...but this was the only way to bring her back."

Osman nodded at Konur, understanding, took the laws from her belt and placed them into the chest before closing it. Konur and Batur grabbed Ceyda again, and they all escaped the camp and headed towards the cave.

---

"Find her!" Kongar roared. The soldiers scurried to find Ceyda. She was missing since the night before, and he was both mad at himself for not being able to protect her and mad at the security for being so weak. He headed for Balgay's tent, his head hanging low. The Mongols dragged the dead body outside and Balgay walked to his seat. "Did they succeed?"