Epilogue

3 Years Later...

"Look, Bala Hatun. Is this enough for the Sogut Bazaar? Arabesques are the central component, so they run through the middle like this, and the branches spread from that line..." Ceyda gestured to a single streak of the common ornamental design of the rug she weaved, outlining the distinguishing elements of its predominantly sky-blue, ocean-blue and crispy white ground. The splashes of their contrasting colours as the leaves of the black branches and along the edges made it stand out further.

Bala Hatun gasped at the simple yet divine rug Ceyda held, her doe eyes entranced by its richness- colour-wise and in meaning. It was unlike any of their previous rugs where they mainly used dark colours in shades of red, adding a literal central piece with a border and intertwined flowers along the edges or corners.

"And you did this yourself?" she asked, amazed by the ex-warrior's skills. Ceyda smiled lightly in confirmation, and Bala patted her arm, remarking, "These rugs are perfect for even Konya, Ceydam," causing the designer to stare at the ground in humility. "I will tell Osman Bey, and we can start the preparations." Ceyda nodded in approval before she felt a stinging pain in her stomach. She shut her eyes as Bala continued speaking, "I can even speak to my Bey to make you the Head Hatun of the Rug House. It's been a while now and you continuously prove yourself fit for this position. Besides, I can-Ceyda?"

Ceyda clutched her stomach and cleared her throat, pushing away the pain. "Thank you, Bala Bacim. Let's go to Osman Bey now then," she suggested, absent-minded to Bala's proposal after the unexpected cramp. Bala looked like she was about to ask something but led her out of the Rug House to Osman Bey anyway, bringing Ceyda's rug with her.

Ceyda had been feeling unwell for the past few weeks, waking up with back pains, and feeling nauseous or suddenly dizzy as she worked, but she hid it reluctant to trouble the others.

As they walked through the tribe, they spotted Osman Bey speaking to Davut Usta by his blacksmith stall, Boran Alp and Goktug Alp by his side.

Upon noticing Ceyda's arrival, Goktug took a deep breath, averting his eyes. 

"It's been three years since we conquered Kuluchaisar. The enemies have been quiet for a while," started Davut Usta, a hint of concern in his usual joy.

"But that doesn't mean they aren't plotting or watching us," Osman Bey warned, stroking his newly grown beard. "We should be alert."

In the three years following the defeat of Princess Sofia and Commander Balgay, the tribe worked hard to pick themselves up, furnishing the rug and trade markets to maximize their income.

"Not a day goes by when we don't worry about Byzantines, Mongols, or traitors within," Boran sighed, running his hand through his shoulder-length umber hair, as the other agreed.

"Selam Alyekum," Bala Hatun smiled as she neared the men who nodded at her in respect and returned the Selam, glad to break the silence. "There's something we would like to discuss with you, Beyim."

Osman approved enthusiastically and led the way forward, nodding at Ceyda who did the same and walked with them. 

After discussing Ceyda's consistent diligence in the Rug House and her most recent rug, Osman Bey turned to her with a hint of surprise. "I knew you had this skill in you," he grinned. "Bala Hatun tells me she finds you perfect for the Head Hatun position, and I find it suitable as well...what do you think?"

Ceyda gave Bala a grateful look but shook her head. "Estaghfirullah, Beyim. How can I take up this position when it rightfully belongs to those who have been working for so long, longer than me? I cannot."