Chapter 16: Jailhouse Rock

Chapter 16:
Third person POV (Robby)

"Man, that girl you have Robby," The delinquent who'd stood beside the bastard who beat up the ex Miyagi-Do student, whistles lowly, connecting his thumb and pointer finger together in a 'fine' symbol. "She's downright fuckable." His friend claps him on the shoulder and the pair share a laugh.

Robby clenches his jaw tightly in a minuscule attempt to not get in another fist fight. He was due for release; only five days to go and he would never have to see these guys EVER again. He continues walking with that little piece of information keeping his wits about him. But then the other one has to place his lack of common sense into the matter. "I bet she gets loud too, bro." Robby wines at the description, sickened by their lack of respect for her and by the unnecessary light they had shone on the family he had left in his life. The only family, he had begun to think, he ever has truly. His fists clench at his sides, containing his anger enough for the moment.

"Knock your shit off." The low voice surprises Robby. Though grateful for the interference on their 'leader's' part, he doesn't bother to turn or signal acknowledgement in any form. In some capacity there would be payment. Nothing ever came free in life, especially in prison. Light grumbling ends the one-sided banter and the pair pass Robby by with an annoyance in their eyes. Robby smirks to himself. He has earned their bosses' respect while they still hadn't. "I didn't do it for you."

The simple sentence wipes the smug smirk and  sly wink with a frown and eyebrows furrowed by confusion. For both of their sakes, Robby doesn't look to his.... acquaintance. "So they were just annoying you?"

"No." The two boys walk side by side in silence for a few steps. "And normally I don't care about broads or who belongs to who and who they are to fellow delinquents." Robby snorts at the iconically ironically used term everyone threw around at one another sarcastically. His picquet interest hides behind a simple roll of his eyes at the lack of simple morals with these guys. Not to mention, the lack of boundary reminds him of his own girl stolen by a boy with lack of code. He doesn't ask what changed his stance this one time.

The physically imposing, dark-skinned boy Robby had seen as an equal after all their battles, possesses just before they turn the corner to return to the courtyard. "But that girl, she's a different breed."

Robby can't tell if it's a compliment or -he squints slightly to further examine the features on this kid's face- fear and astonishment? "Different breed?" He pauses a moment, quickly playing back their short conversation. "Do you know her?"

"Zelena Carter?" The kid snickers, shaking his head almost in disappointment. His eyes meet Robby's once more. "No. I heard stories of her though from her brother. And I saw the way she was in there with you. I've never seen anyone be honest like that. Especially not in public." Not realizing the bombshell he'd placed in front of Robby, not that he'd care anyway, he walks away without another word.

Carter? Brother? Brother in a detention center? He applies heavy pressure to his subconscious to bring forth all memories of conversations with Zelena that he'd had over the time of their friendship. Sifting through each that he could remember, he searches for any signs or even subtle mentions of a sibling besides Demetri, his younger sister, Sam, Anthony, Aisha, and Eli-thought everyone had an inkling she definitely didn't think of him as a brother. Robby checks twice and even a third time to give her the benefit of the doubt, only to come up empty-handed. What kind of life did Zelena Carter live?
————————————-
Third Person POV (Zelena)

"ABBA, really?" Daniel LaRusso asks the brunette girl sitting quietly beside him following the small argument they has just finished minutes prior with a half chuckle, half breath.