Chapter 37: All That I Can Do

AUTHOR'S NOTE: JUST PURE FLUFF! WE DESERVED A CHAPTER OF FLUFF AND HAPPINESS AND LOVE FOR EVERYONE. That's all. READ AT YOUR OWN HEART'S RISK. IT MAY EXPLODE FROM CUTENESS.

CHAPTER 37:

A hand slips easily into mine, interlacing their fingers between my own. The familiarity of the warmth and mint laced Jasmine scent relaxes the original tension rising in my body. I lean my head to the left, resting my temple upon his shoulder bone while he falls into step with me. "How are you feeling today?" Concern soaks every single syllable that falls from his lips.

My eyes lift upward to meet his gaze. Instead of responding verbally, I lean up and press my lips to his cheek. His lips part again, but this time in a gape of shock rather than to speak. A shudder runs through his body and his fingers tighten around my hand. "I'm actually feeling really good." Sly faces imprinted with smirks on their lips stand at the top of the school's entrance steps with their peering eyes observing Eli and I. Chris waves and Mitch makes a kissy face as we approach them.

I find humor in the obviously unnatural expression Mitch is mimicking, even chuckling a bit, but Eli jokingly reminds, "I can and will kick your ass Penis Breath."

"Do I even want to know how that nickname came about?" I inquire. I genuinely couldn't imagine who would come up with that name- let alone say it aloud in any public place.

"He said it at the Christmas party." Chris reminds me.

I nod, leaning forward to look him and Tyler in the face. "I remember. But we had many more pressing matters that night like getting you idiots reacquainted to defeat the bigger issue of it all. I didn't think inquiring about a nickname was that important in the moment." Curiosity gets the better of me and Mitch raises his eyebrow as I stare at him. "Please tell me it wasn't Sensei Lawrence who called you that." His darker brown eyes glance off to the side like in a sense of guilt and a sign of acknowledgment for the name. "I wonder about him sometimes."

Eli opens the school door for me, releasing my hand and allowing me to enter in front of him. I hear a faint, unbothered "It was either that or Assface" lingering upward from behind me. I unzip my bag for the security check, handing it to the 'officers' without acknowledging Mitch's nonchalant comment about our Sensei's 'pet names'. "Thanks," I murmur to the officer as he slides my backpack back in my direction to zip back up and enter the school further. He smiles back softly in response and I toss the bag over my right shoulder.

A little bit further down between student bodies and open space are the other three of our group standing there with early morning, half-tired smiles on their lips. "You're later than usual today." Samantha recalls as I approach them, her arms open for a hug but I hold my index finger up. I didn't want to lose traction in this conversation with Mitch.

"I walked to school. Just needed some fresh air." I turn on my heel, facing the curly haired boy and simultaneously warding off the arm my boyfriend was going to place around me. Eli jerks back in surprise while I stare at a suddenly nervous looking Mitch. "Why would you let Sensei choose between those two in the first place? Also did you ask where his replacement nickname even came from?"

He simply shakes his head side to side. "Why are you so hung up on this?"

My hands raise in front of me as my shoulders shrug. "I just don't understand 1, where he got 'Penis Breath' from. And 2, why you're okay with being called that."

"That's what I said!" Chris raises his voice in response, capturing some of our peers' attentions from their individual groups.

My head swerves side to side in dismay, mentally noting to have a conversation with Sensei Lawrence next practice about his choice of nicknames for his students. "Sorry to interrupt whatever this is," Yasmine's voice cuts through the lull in our conversation as it nears its end. My head turns to look at Demetri with a half smirk, awaiting her to whisk him away on some lame account of needing an A in a class so she wouldn't need to spend her money getting it, when all she really wanted was a secret session somewhere in the shadows of the hall. His eyes narrow warningly at me, swiftly averting shortly after to the blonde's face. Rolling my eyes, I too turn to glance at her, observing the small quirk of her lips when her eyes meet my best friend's. "I need to borrow-"