Chapter 7: Goodbye in Her Eyes

CHAPTER 7:

Third Person POV

Aisha screams into her pillow, allowing it to soak up her tears and pain though it did poorly for both. She was angry and sad and distressed and helpless and hopeless all at once. This had been the seventh day without Zelena at school and the thirteenth since the accident. She has been haunted by Zel's sprawled out body in her nightmares and for the first five days, any time she closed her eyes.

But now, every night she got actual sleep, they were dreams of old memories full of love, life, and laughter. Old memories that shred her heart to pieces every time she woke up. She started setting her alarm for an additional two hours earlier than normal to give herself ample time to cry, scream, and soak in the shower to hide visual evidence of her agonized sessions.

The orange-yellow hues from the fire dances on the side of Zelena's face, brightening her complexion more than usual- at least compared to tonight. Aisha approaches the thoughtful young woman very quietly from behind as to avoid startling her too much. "You do realize this is a party? You are supposed to live a little."

"I am. I just don't thrive in high volume social situations. You know that." She replies nearly instantly. As Aisha moves closer to stand beside her, shoulders nearly touching, she can see the sadness lingering in her friend's eyes.

Aisha bumps her shoulder against Zelena's, causing the latter to look over at her and give her a chance of further examination. "No. I mean yes. But something else is on your mind besides the absurd amount of people." Knowing the good-natured girl would never give away something like that, Aisha allows her eyes to roam the shores' party goers. And there she finds Hawk sucking Moon's face off who happens to be draped over his lap. "Oh my gosh! It's about Hawk isn't it?"

The brunette swallows hard, nodding in response. Aisha nearly shrieks in excitement. Zelena never had a crush before- she was always more existential. However much of her wants to shriek and giggle like she would with Sam and her, Aisha inhales deeply to drown it.  "I-I think I have a crush on Eli. Like like-like him. Besides that, he kind of- I know change is good. And I am so proud of him for standing up and stepping into himself. But he is starting to get a little too aggressive."

"And he ditched you to suck face with the girl who made fun of us and him and let Kyler walk all over him?" Zelena shrugs at Aisha's comment, making her 'muppet' face meaning she didn't disagree. "I can go-"

Zelena's arm swoops out, stopping Aisha mid-step. "Don't. He deserves to enjoy himself. Besides, Moon is only a jerk when Yasmine's in her ear playing puppeteer." The dark green colored sleeve falls back to Zelena's side. The pity rolling off her unsettles the Aisha. She'd never seen her old friend act like this.

Aisha's fingers curl around Zelena's arm without inquiring any further about her attitude. Her feet move, tugging along the melancholy young lady stuck too much in her head. "Ish!" Zelena calls from behind her, applying an opposite force backward when she doesn't get a response. Aisha continues on until they nudge their way between teens and end up in the middle of the dancefloor by the largest, center firepit. "Ish-no!"

Aisha begins to swing her body to the beat Nicki Minaj lays down, swaying her arms that are linked to Zelena's in encouragement. She grins as the pain and distance in her eyes ebb away with each movement. Zelena tries to hide her growing smile,  so Aisha takes it upon herself to expose it. Her hands drop Zelena's and rise to her face, making peace signs that slide across her eyes to Va Va Voom chorus. Zelena releases a loud laugh, tossing her head back slightly and loosening up to fully get into the beat.

The auburn haired girl begins to jump around, enjoying the beat and for the second time tonight- the atmosphere. Zelena reattaches her hands to Aisha's, lifting their arms before forcing Aisha to twirl. Zelena's eyes close and suddenly she is more electric. Everyone around them scoots back to let the completely eased girl lose herself in the tempo, her body automatically doing a choreography that takes their breath away.