Chapter 26 - This was not part of my plan

Just in case you've forgotten today ... you matter, you are loved, you are worthy, you are magical.

- Unknown

"So you've turned to ignoring me now?" I asked annoyed as I had finally caught up with Malfoy. Since Monday, he had randomly decided that he was not going to wait for me anymore to do patrol. I always had to go find him, somewhere in the dungeons. Why did I even bother doing so?

"I simply have very little to say to you, Selwyn", he said, not slowing down his pace.

"Well can you at least enlighten me as to what has caused the moodswing this time?" I sighed. How much more pleasant these patrols would be if we just got along.

He didn't answer.

But that raised that same question: what if I was right? And the seed in my head started growing again.

Did I want to know? Moreover, did I want to deal with the repercussions? Getting the answer wouldn't be the problem, but dealing with the aftermath would be. Whether I was right or wrong, there would be a whole lot of aftermath that I was not ready for. What to do? What to do?

Did Draco Malfoy have feelings for me?

If he didn't and I'd go through with my plan, I'd be screwed. It would probably result in him ignoring me for the rest of my life, but maybe that was better than these constant mood swings?

If he did, I was screwed too, because then I'd have to break it to him that I did not like him in that way, which would completely break his pride and probably result in him ignoring me for the rest of my life too.

This was a mess. Why had this stupid plan settled in my head?

"You're so infuriating", I grunted, struggling with the inner conflict. There were so many reasons why I shouldn't: the aftermath, Daphne, my pride, Daphne, my principles, Daphne. But I was so damn intrigued.

There had to be another way.

"The last time you acted like an arse was after you kissed me", I said. He stopped in his tracks, just for a little while, and then he continued walking again.

"I didn't do such a thing", he gritted.

"Oh, you definitely did", I said, keeping up with him. "I remember it quite vividly actually. I'll describe it for you if you want. It was at the Ministry of Magic, on that little terrace situation and-"

"NO!" he shouted, grabbing my cloak and roughly pushing me against the nearby wall. I gasped for air as I hadn't expected this sudden move. His eyes were spitting fire.

"That never happened", he growled. "And I suggest you stop mentioning it, or you'll regret it."

"You can deny it all you want, Malfoy", I hissed. "But it happened and I demand to know why." His eyes flickered with rage and I wrapped one hand around the wand in my pocket, just to be sure.

His complexion seemed even paler in the moonlight, almost translucent. There were storms in his grey eyes, storms that wanted attention.

"I don't care what you demand, Selwyn", he said silently, completely in control again. "It didn't mean anything, so stop trying to find an explanation."

"Didn't it?" I asked softly, wanting to see his reaction. I needed to know the answer. I needed to find out if my suspicions were right. Even though I had no feelings for this boy whatsoever, I had to know if he did. I had to know if he kissed me that night because he had some sort of romantic feelings for me or not.