Chapter 11 - You know absolutely nothing about me, Selwyn

She wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess half hell.

- Nikita Gill

I pulled my green scarf a little tighter as the cold October wind cut my cheeks. I rubbed the leather gloves I had gotten for Christmas last year so the friction would give me some extra warmth. Why had I agreed to watch these tryouts again?

The players were warming up and I spotted Adrian high up in the sky, throwing a quaffle at the goalpost at surprising speed. He spotted me and flew our way.

"Well, let's give her some privacy, shall we?" Tracey wiggled her eyebrows, pulling Daphne with her. I rolled my eyes at them as they walked away giggling.

"Glad to see you could make it", Adrian said as he jumped off his broom.

"Well I couldn't deprive you of your lucky charm now, could I?" I smirked. He grinned and wiped a bit of sweat off his forehead. Why did he have to be so damn attractive?

"Well, I'm glad you're here, but I would be even more glad if you went to Hogsmeade with me next week", he said.

"You're not going to give up, are you?" I rolled my eyes, a smile tugging on my lips. What was the harm in one date?

"Not until you say yes, darling."

"Well, let's make a deal, shall we? If you get the captain spot, I'll go with you. Look at it as some extra motivation", I smiled.

"Oh, we have a deal Selwyn", he winked before jumping on his broomstick again and flying off. I couldn't suppress the smile when I walked up the stairs to the Slytherin stands. If he got the spot, I was going to do what I had promised myself not to do, but I couldn't help it. I liked him.

"So, had a nice snogging session?" Tracey joked as I sat down next to them.

"Very funny, Davis", I mumbled, readjusting my scarf. Malfoy was flying a couple yards away, putting his gloves on. We hadn't fought since Monday and it was properly weird.

We didn't talk much, but even if he did say something, he wasn't as offensive as he normally was. During Astronomy we had even worked together, which had never happened before.

I just let it happen. I wasn't extra nice to him because of it, but I didn't go out of my way to annoy him either. This past week had been more fun than the previous five, so why mess that up now? This is what I had wanted for the past 15 years. For us to just be civil.

"He's so handsome", Daphne sighed as Malfoy flew off again. After I told her about Malfoy apologizing, her crush was right back where she'd left it. She was distant still, feeling that he should earn her attention back, but she was still in love with the bloke.

"I do not understand you", I shook my head as her eyes glistened.

"Oh come on, Lea. Don't tell me you think he isn't handsome. That's impossible", she said.

"He is handsome, but I just don't understand how you can romantically like him. I hope it's not just because he's attractive."

"Of course not! He's also intelligent and ambitious and powerful and charismatic." I blinked a couple times, having difficulties with matching Malfoy to "charismatic".

We watched as both Adrian and Montague gave their little welcome speech and explained how it would work. I was never allowed to play quidditch as it was not a "ladylike thing" to do. Not that there were any girls allowed on the Slytherin team anyway, but I would have loved to play at least once. I had a very fancy broom, but I was rarely allowed to use it.