Chapter 58 - He's drowning, Lea, and you have to pull him out

Trust the overthinker who tells you they love you. They have, most assuredly, thought of every reason not to.

- LK Pilgrim

Dearest Eleanor

I know it's been a while since I have written to you and I'm sorry for that. Things are hectic here at Malfoy Manor, as you might have noticed. I have to keep this letter quite short, but we'll see each other again over Easter break.

How is your time at Hogwarts? Are you enjoying yourself? I hope you are. I'm also writing to you because I'm a little worried about Draco. He hasn't written to me since Christmas break and that's not common for him. I noticed the stress and wear on him during the previous break and I worry that it's all becoming too much for him. Is he okay? I know you two aren't close anymore, but I know you still care about him and it would mean the world to me if you could just give me a little update.

I know that you can't answer that question directly in case your letter gets intercepted upon arrival, so just use the word "dragon" in your letter if he is okay, and "peacock" if he isn't. He told me about his Patronus over the summer and I'd like to thank you. I hadn't seen him so happy in years. You really did wonders for him, Eleanor, and I hope that one day, it all works out for you.

I hope you have a great time there and please come to visit me over the break.

Lots of love,

Narcissa

I folded the letter up and put it back in the envelope. I had to burn it in case it got into anyone else's hands. I had to write her back, but could I lie to her? It was no use to let her worry over a letter, as there was nothing she could do about the situation, but Draco looked far from "okay". He didn't sleep well, didn't eat well, had too much anxiety and was not taking care of his health.

I took a deep breath and took my wand. I levitated the letter and then cast the Incendio charm, watching it catch flame and disappear.

"What are you doing?" Daphne asked as she walked into our dorm room.

"Burning a letter", I stated, watching the flames eat at the paper.

"Any particular reason?" Daphne blinked a few times.

"Just don't want it to fall into the wrong hands", I sighed as the last bit of paper disappeared. Daphne walked over and sat down on the opposite side of my bed, pulling up her legs.

"Has it something to do with Draco, perhaps?" she questioned carefully.

"It's just his mother, asking how he is doing", I shrugged.

"He isn't doing very well, is he?" The answer was obvious, but it had been so long and still I couldn't stop thinking about him. No, he wasn't doing well, yes, he was suffering, yes, I still worried, no, I couldn't do anything about it.

I shook my head, twirling my wand in my hand.

"Do you remember what I told you at Slughorn's Christmas party?" she asked. I hadn't been invited to any more dinner parties since. "I told you that you had to try to get over him and if that wasn't working, that you had to try to mend what was broken. You're not getting over him, Lea."

I scoffed. How was I supposed to get over someone when everything about them screamed "care about me", anything except his actions.

"I don't know how, Daphne. He is the one shutting me out. I tried to make it work, but he's not letting me in."