chapter twelve

Frankie Doyle

December 31st 

For the remainder of the first half of the race season, Harry and I spent the majority of our time together. We were working together during the weekends for his races, but we often found excuses to see each other during the week too. Whether it was for meetings or hanging out, just to be with each other.

After we got back from Queenstown, Brooklyn had ended coming over, and I told her everything that happened between me and Harry, as well as my family. I opened up to her about how I was really struggling around Harry. I didn't know how not to feel the things I was feeling...

"Babe, if there's one thing I know about you, it's you have the ability to think and focus on more than one thing at a time. You told me that both you and Harry have feelings for each other, and you both agreed to push them aside and focus on racing. But if you ask me, pushing them aside had only pulled your focus towards him more. You've said it yourself, he's all that you can think about. I've wanted to see you this happy with someone since... well, for a long time. You are a bad ass female who is incredibly loving, but also incredibly analytical. I think just this once, you need to give in to the other side of yourself. I think you'll be able to focus on racing a lot more when you aren't trying to fight against what you both really want," Brooklyn had rambled.

"So you're saying I should just go for it?" I had asked.

"I'm not telling you to do anything Frank. I'm just saying that pushing down what you really want isn't helping either of you. I mean, when Harry won the race, the first thing he wanted to do was kiss you... So I think you'd both be happier if you stopped fighting it."

"I think you might be right," I sighed. "I'm struggling to focus all the time now because all I want to do is grab him and hold him, literally like all the time."

"See, I don't think it's healthy for your mind to be this preoccupied when there's such a simple solution."

"Yeah, you're right," I agreed. "I'm going to talk to him."

"Oh my God yay!" She squealed in delight. "Tell me how it goes okay? I love you, you got this."

"I love you, thank you for giving me the courage..."

To say I was shitting myself when it came to talking to Harry, well, that would be an understatement. I was so nervous because I was the one who had said we couldn't be anything more than friends and only a couple of weeks later, I had changed my mind. I think Harry knew that I was going to change my mind though, because when I finally came clean, he didn't seem all that surprised, only happy...

"Look Harry, I've been thinking, a lot. I don't know if I can do this whole just friends who kiss sometimes thing," I had sighed. "You're literally on my mind all the time and all I can think about is how much I want us to be together. It's even started to affect me as an analyst; I'm having to put in so much effort to focus on the data now and it's honestly driving me crazy. So this me officially taking back my offer of friendship. We are adults and we can do whatever the fuck we want and I know that both of us will be able to work better on this race team if we aren't so caught up in our minds."

"I was wondering how long it would take you to change your mind," Harry had said with a smirk before placing his hands on either side of my face, pulling me in for a passionate kiss that could've swept anyone off their feet.

We decided that we weren't going to label what we were just yet. We were going to focus on having fun and getting to really know each other.

As a part of getting to know each other better, I decided it would be fun to take Harry surfing with me. The day didn't go as expected to say the least.