chapter thirty one

Song: Girl Almighty, One Direction

Let's pray we stay young, stay made of lightning

Frankie Doyle

November

Something felt so different arriving at the track this morning.

I've been here before. I've raced this exact track before, yet the whole experience felt so foreign.

I stood still, watching the frantic movements of everyone around me. Each person in my pit was buzzing around trying to prepare for the next three days. I found myself immersed in watching it.

Computers were being set up while tables were put out and covered with tools. My race car was being jacked up for inspection as the mechanics got out the torches to look underneath it.

I still couldn't wrap my head around the fact that this was all for me. I mean, I know I got to do this last season as well, but I never had the chance to compete in a full season on my own. I never had the chance to take out the championship. And now I do...

Maybe that's why everything felt so different today.

"Frankie!" One of my managers came up to me, pulling me abruptly from my thoughts.

"Hey James, how are you?" I asked politely.

"I've got a good feeling, ready to go. How about you?" he was practically bouncing on the spot. I, on the other hand, was still trying to get over my lack of sleep.

Maybe I should start drinking coffee.

"I'm good...ready. I'm just trying to take it all in, I think," I smiled, breathing out.

"I know it's a lot, but if last season was anything to go off, you have nothing to worry about, my little falcon," he patted me supportively on the back.

"I've been practicing and training heaps, so hopefully it shows this weekend."

"I know, your report log shows just how hard you've been working. I can see you're determined Frankie. Take that on to the track in all of your races and even Styles wouldn't have a chance of beating you. Between you and me, his times have nothing on yours," he winked.

For some reason, I felt myself getting defensive over what James had said. "That may be true, but Harry is far more experienced when it comes to the pressure of having twenty other cars on the track with you. That's still something I've got to get used to."

"Oh, of course. I wasn't shitting on him. I'm his manager too and he's an outstanding driver. There's just something in you I haven't seen before. I know the both of you will take out this competition easily," he shrugged casually.

"Don't jinx it," I laughed.

"Right," he laughed. "Hey, look, I've gotta go talk to Styles, make sure he's all set up. Is there anything you need from me?"

"I'm good. Thank you though James. I'm just gonna go through my race data with Mitch from last season," I responded.

"Awesome, catch you in a bit," he smiled before walking into the next pit over, where Harry was setting up.

I made my way over to the computer set up where Mitch was standing, fiddling with some wires.

His long brown hair was pulled back into a bun that would make any girl jealous; I was jealous. While his headset was lazily hanging around his neck.

I hesitated quickly as I approached the set up. Chills from the memory of last night shot up through me. I could help but look over my shoulder as I walked.