chapter seventy

Song: Big Yellow Taxi, Joni Mitchell

Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone

Frankie Doyle

August

"I can't fucking believe the day is here. You're leaving me. You aren't allowed to leave me," Brooklyn pouted as she hugged me as hard as she could.

"I'm only gone till the end of November, then you won't be able to get rid of me," I hugged her back just as hard.

The longest Brooklyn and I had ever been apart before was a month or so. Now we were going to be away from each other for just over three months.

"I should be coming with you. That's it. I'm coming with you," she said determinedly.

"As much as I would love that, there are a few problems with that," I sighed.

"I see no problems," she huffed.

"Well, for one, I need you here to look after my fur babies. We are also at the airport, you have no luggage, no passport and no plane ticket," I smiled sadly.

"I hate this," I heard her voice beginning to break.

"I know, but you're coming over for the actual race. We'll FaceTime every day. I'm gonna talk to you so much that you're gonna get sick of me," I tried to assure her, breaking slightly out of the hug so I could see her face.

"You fucking better. I'm not even kidding. You better tell me everything. I want to know what the weather is like, your outfit of the days, everything," she said sternly.

"You'll know it all. Also long as you send me constant updates on my babies," I laughed, wiping away a few tears that had made their way on to her cheeks.

"Of course. And you two," she said, turning to Kai and Mitch. "You better look out for her, she's tiny."

"I'm not that small," I complained.

"You are to everyone around you," she shushed me.

"I'll look after her, don't you worry. I've even got a snickers in my carry on. And yes, I agree with Brooklyn, you are tiny," Kai laughed.

"That's only because you're an entire foot taller than me. You're a fucking giant." I rolled my eyes playfully as he rested his arm on the top of my head to prove his point.

"Alright, alright, we should probably go through security now," Mitch laughed.

"Please text me when you land. I also expect an apartment tour," Brooklyn demanded, hugging me tight again.

"I love you Brooks."

"I love you too Frank. Now go kick some ass. Don't let anything distract you," she told me.

"Nothing could distract me from this," I insisted.

"I know, I'm just making sure. Fly safe." She held me one last time before letting me go.

"Bye, Brooks," I smiled, before turning around towards security with Kai.

The three hour flight was okay. I still didn't particularly like flying. Well, I didn't like taking off and landing. Plus my ears always really hurt when we landed.

I spent the whole time looking out of the window while I listened to music. I don't know why but I really struggled to focus on movies while I was flying, so I always ended up just listening to music.

My stomach began to rumble and before I could even register what was happening, Kai had pulled out the snickers bar from his bag.

"Thank you," I smiled.