chapter seventy one

Song: Let Me Hold You, Netsky, Hybrid Minds

So take a little love, until you have enough

Frankie Doyle

September

"Did you know?" I asked into the phone.

"Hello Brooklyn, how are you Brooklyn? I miss you Brooklyn. Hey Frankie! I'm great! How's Australia?"

"Brooklyn. Did you know?" I repeated.

"Know what?" She asked.

"That he was here," I said bluntly.

She was silent for a moment.

"Brooklyn..." I was feeling so many things right now, but all I wanted was a straight answer.

"Please don't be mad-" she started.

"Oh for fucks sake," I groaned.

"Look, I didn't want to tell you because you were so excited about going and I didn't want anything to ruin that," she tried to justify.

"It wouldn't have ruined it Brooklyn. It would have prepared me so that I didn't look like an absolute idiot when I saw him." I could feel the frustration rising in my chest.

"I just didn't want to take the chance that you'd back out or work yourself up because of it. I know how much you've wanted this," she reasoned.

"Brooklyn. I've wanted to see Harry since he left me last June. I know I didn't want any distractions, but him being here never would've stopped me from going," I strained.

"I'm sorry, I should've told you. I thought it was the right thing to do at the time," she sighed.

"You do realise that we're training in the same town, at the same track...we were bound to run into each other...Wait, how long have you known for?" I asked.

"Um..." She faded off.

"Brooklyn..." I said sternly.

"Niall told me on the day that you found out that you were going," her voice had raised an octave.

"Brooklyn!" I groaned.

"I'm sorry! I honestly didn't know what to do," she apologised.

"Well considering you're supposed to be my best friend and tell me everything, you were supposed to tell me," I said flatly.

"Don't start that shit with me. That 'you're supposed to be my best friend' shit. Niall and I can't be expected to be the middle men between you and Harry, okay? Harry talks to Niall all the time on the phone, it almost always about you, but I'm not going to pass what's said on to you because it's not my place-"

"Knowing how he's feeling towards me, or having a conversation with his best friend is not my business, you're right. But finding out we're going to be in the same place is my business Brooks," I interrupted.

"Look, I can't change what I did. I'm sorry. I know that I made the wrong choice. I promise it won't happen again," she said genuinely.

I sighed. "It just really stumped me Brooks. He said my name and I literally tried to hide."

"You didn't?"

"Oh I did, then when he walked around the side of the trailer, I was literally crouching on the ground. After that I basically ran away. I've never been so embarrassed in my life." I was mentally biting my head in the sand as I relived the moment.

"Oh Frank..." she sighed.

"I know," I agreed.

"Did you actually say anything to each other?" She asked.