chapter forty one

holy guacamole. i am so so so sorry for the wait. i think i've just had the biggest week of my life. i had my graduation ceremony and i turned 21 all within a few days on top of working manic hours, so i just haven't had any time to write. please don't hate me.

~~~

Song: Sweet Creature, Harry Styles

When I run out of road, you bring me home

Frankie Doyle

December

It's. Fucking. Freezing.

I'm not trying to sound ungrateful or anything, but holy shit, I was not prepared for it to be this cold.

As we waited for a taxi outside the airport, I could feel myself beginning to shiver as the cool air nipped at any piece of exposed skin it could find.

I tried to hide my discomfort from Harry as I wrapped my jacket more tightly around me, but it was pretty hard to control the fact that my entire body was shaking.

"Come here," he laughed.

"I'm f-fine," I stuttered unconvincingly. 

"Stop being stubborn and let me warm you up please," he pushed.

He placed my arms around his waist, underneath the jacket he had put on over the top of his cardigan. Then he wrapped it around me, pulling me close into his chest.

I couldn't stop the sigh of relief from escaping my lips as I felt the heat from his body encompassing my own.

"Better?" He smiled.

"Thank you," I replied quietly.

"Are you hungry?" He asked.

"A bit, but I really just want to have a shower before we do anything. I feel gross," I mumbled.

"Yeah, me too. How about we go pick up the rental car, then go straight to the hotel and shower. Then we'll find somewhere to eat?" He suggested.

"Okay," I sighed contently.

Eventually we climbed into the back of a taxi. The car rental place was only down the road, but I don't think I would've survived walking in the cold.

Auckland winters have absolutely nothing on this.

As soon as we got into the car, Harry blasted the heater in an effort to defrost my frozen limbs.

I could see his excitement levels beginning to grow as we drove to the hotel. He began to point out places he knew.

"There's my old primary school," he smiled pointing to a large, old looking building. We couldn't actually see much as it was already pitch black, but that didn't dull his excitement one bit. "I have so much that I can't wait to show you!"

As we drove around the little township, I couldn't help but get a sense of peace and calm. There was a stillness in the air that I hadn't really encountered before.

In Auckland, everything is always so busy. Everyone always had places to be and people to see with no time to stop and appreciate what was around them...

...But here... I could already tell it was different. There were people out on the streets walking, bundled up in layers of clothing to try and retain some warmth. The way they moved just seemed...slower. The people stopped and observed what was around them, they noticed things and appreciated what they could see.

The only other places I had ever felt that sense of stillness and peace was out on the water and in the snow.

I had only been here for an hour and I was already falling in love with this town.