chapter seventy three

Song: Bloom, The Paper Kites

Can I be close to you?

Frankie Doyle

October

Over the past week, I've found myself around Harry more and more. Even he and Kai started to get along, although was definitely a bit of awkward tension to start with. I had told Kai about Harry, and obviously Harry knew about the kiss that Kai and I shared. Luckily they both got over that quickly once they got onto the topic of me trying to teach them to surf; then it became pick on Frankie hour...

I wasn't particularly impressed, but I'd rather that than my best friend and my...well I don't really know what Harry is to me right now. But I would just rather them get along.

We all had dinner at Kai and Mitch's last night. Sarah and Paisley were leaving in a few days and I knew Harry was dying to see them. He had left New Zealand before Paisley was born and so this was going to be the first time he met her.  I had never seen him so excited.

He fell in love with her immediately. 

He took her straight from Sarah after they said their hello's and had her on his knee for the rest of his night. I honestly don't think I had ever seen something so pure. 

The dynamic was so normal between everyone there. It felt so natural. I had to remind myself multiple times that Harry and I weren't together. I'm sure the way I caught myself staring at him probably wasn't helping.

"What's going on with you two?" Sarah whispered as we stood in the kitchen together, while Mitch, Kai and Harry took turns trying to get Paisley to laugh. I couldn't help but grin as I watched them absolutely melt in her presence.

"With who?" I asked.

"Harry? Who else?" She stated as though it were obvious.

"Well Mitch asked me a couple of weeks ago whether there was something going on between Kai and I so I just had to be sure," I shrugged.

"Oh, no, you guys couldn't look more platonic if you tried," she laughed.

"See, that's what I thought, but apparently not to Mitch."

"Guys think being polite is flirting," she rolled her eyes playfully. "So?"

"I honestly don't know. I don't know what to think. We're both focusing on our racing. He knows how much this means to me and he knows I don't want anything to jeopardise that. But I've found myself always wanting him around. We've been hanging out a lot, especially after my mum's anniversary. We're joking around with each other like we used to. I don't know...It's like we're friends but there's more there too," I sighed.

"He still loves you. I can see it. Every time you talk, he stares at you like you've got rainbows shining out of your ass," she laughed.

"I still love him too, it's just not the time." I looked down to my hands.

"You might be right, but when is the time? Life is short," she shrugged.

"It's too complicated now. Not just Harry and I, but we're a part of competing teams. There's of lot of legal issues with that. I'll admit though, watching how he is with Paisley is making me want to forget all of the problems and just go for it." I looked behind me, Harry was now laying on his back holding Paisley in the air, she was in hysterics.

"Men with babies are a woman's greatest downfall," Sarah shook her head in amusement. "I thought having Paisley would put more stress on Mitch and I, especially with him being gone; but god, I don't think I've ever loved him more," she stared over at him adoringly.