chapter forty five

Song: Velvet Clouds, Oddnote

Frankie Doyle

January

I couldn't help but smile as the familiar noises and smells surrounded me.

It's funny how some people would see it as unpleasant, but to me, the smell of burning rubber mixed with petrol and the constant humming of engines made me feel right at home.

The Christmas break hadn't been too long, but long enough to have me itching to get back in the track. I needed to feel the steering wheel in my hands as adrenaline coursed through my veins. I needed my heart to pound in anticipation as I waited for the lights to shift from red to green. I needed to feel the competition, knowing that my boyfriend and my brother were on the track with me.

A very small part of me was nervous to get back on the track though. After what had happened last time, with the inexperienced driver being let onto the track and causing absolute havoc, I was slightly weary. Especially because it lead to the biggest fight between Harry and I.

Apparently the racing association had tightened their protocols and their background checks, making sure that only people with the correct licensing and documentation were allowed on the track for these official races. Each driver had to be a part of a team. No solo drivers could enter.

Knowing that definitely eased some of the anxiety I had been feeling.

I arrived just before seven this morning, barely anyone was here as the sun sat low in the sky, emitting gorgeous streams of gold across the empty track.

Harry and I drove separately as he had to go see his dad after the race. If honestly felt really strange arriving without him.

Yesterday I had my practice races and my qualifying round.

The practice races went really well. I was familiar with the track already. I had memorised each turn, rise and dip in the track. That meant I was able to spend those precious laps refining my driving, rather than learning the route.

Mitch has continually proved himself as a race engineer. He always gave me accurate advice that I could easily apply to my driving in order to improve myself. He always found something that I could do better and I really appreciated that. There's no point being told that you're doing amazing all the time, because then you're never going to improve and everyone else around you will.

Mitch suggested making today's race more interesting for myself by taking it easier in the qualifying race. That meant that instead of starting in first position, I was starting in forth. Harry, Payne and Benji were all starting in front of me.

I knew it was going to be a tough race, but if I was going to consistently improve as a race car driver, I needed to put myself into challenging situations.

"You raced pretty well yesterday," Mitch started as he buckled me into my seat and completed all the necessary checks on my car before I took it out to the starting grid. "You just need to make sure that you're driving smart today. I know you're gonna wanna give it your all, but if you go too hard, you're gonna end up wearing through your tyres faster than you need to and you might have to pit. Make sure you're using you skill and your speed; not just your speed."

"Got it," I responded.

"Ive also been watching your competition and I think that Benji knows this track better than both you and Harry. He's been racing in it just as long as you've been a race engineer. I think he might prove to be bigger competition than Harry this round. Keep that in mind. You know how he drives better than anyone. Use that you your advantage."