chapter seventy seven

Song: Canyon Moon, Harry Styles

I'm going oh I'm going home

Frankie Doyle

November

I could hear the waves crashing and the wind slowly rustling through the fronds of the palms that littered the boundary of my home. As I stepped out of the taxi, the familiar salty air filled my lungs and immediately, I felt at home. 

The grass was overgrown and daisies covered the lawn as I walked up the path to my front door. I don't think I had every felt happier to see my own front door in my life. I I stepped inside and smiled as I brought my suitcases inside. It was all the same, everything was exactly how I left it. 

The past three months had been so busy. I felt like I never had a second to relax. But the moment I walked through the door, it was like I was able to release every thought, anxiety and overwhelming feeling that I had been carrying with me every moment I was away.

I walked straight to the glass doors that lead out to the deck, opening them wide. The late spring breeze gently floated in as I walked to the edge of the deck and buried my feet into the sand. Words couldn't describe how badly I had missed having the ocean in my back yard.

My fingertips trailed along the necklace that Harry gave me. He was right when he said it would help me to feel like I had a little bit of home wherever I went, but not because of the pearls; it was because of him. He would always be my home, no matter where he was in the world and I was so happy that I no longer had to hold on to memories of him. In a week, he would be home and we could begin creating new memories again. 

There was a feeling in my heart that hadn't left since he asked me to be his girlfriend again. It was something that I hadn't experienced before. I no longer just felt love for him, but there was and organic, chemical need for him. I had the ability to live and be happy on my own, but I knew in my soul that this man was meant for me. He made everything in my life so much better. Being around him made living feel vibrant and exciting. I never knew how much I loved that feeling until I didn't have it anymore.

I wasn't the kind of person that liked to be dependent on others. I think as soon as you're dependent on someone, especially for happiness, then you lose who you are. I never relied on Harry to make me happy, but together, we grew. We built each other up and helped each other to become the best versions of ourselves. Next to him, I felt unbreakable.

I smiled as I watched the waves roll in gently, kissing the shoreline with every movement. The only thing that was stopping me from racing into the water was knowing that Brooklyn and Niall would be here any second with Zig and Chev.

"Honey I'm home!" Brooklyn called.

Speak of the devil...

I dusted the sand off of me before I walked back inside, running to greet my best friend with a hug.

"I fucking missed you," I smiled as I wrapped my arms around her.

"You saw me like four days ago," she laughed, returning the hug.

"I know, but it's different now that I'm home," I sighed in happiness.

Niall cleared his throat rather loudly from behind us as he placed the crate holding the cats on the floor.

"I missed you too Niall," I laughed, as I let go of Brooklyn and engulfed him in a hug.

"Thank you for looking after my babies," I grinned, looking down to the crate. Both cats were howling to get out.

I knelt on the floor, undoing the latch on the crate.

"Hello my loves," I smiled. 

That smile quickly faded when they both ran out, past me, straight to where their food bowls are usually kept.