"just a couple of wedding planners"

chapter twenty-five: just a couple of wedding planners

SUNDAY MORNING. I had officially packed up three boxes—I thought the smallest of dents would make me feel more productive, but it only made me realize just how much stuff I still had left to box up. I had a stack of folded boxes waiting to be assembled in my living room, and I had gone to retrieve another when I heard my phone ring from my room. I hurried to grab one of the boxes before rushing back to my room. I smiled as I looked down at my phone that was waiting for me on the surface on my nightstand—Luke was FaceTiming. 

I answered with a smile and watched as he grew a smile as well. We were both sporting hoodies—and both were his.

"I've been wondering where that was," Luke said, referring to the sweatshirt of his I had stolen. "I didn't realize I left it."

"It was wedged behind your shirts," I told him as I set my phone against the base of my lamp as I sat down on my floor. I pulled the folded cardboard toward me before beginning to assemble it.

"Oh—she's packing?" Luke asked, seeming both surprised and excited.

"She is," I said, nodding my head as another smile found its way to my face. "This is already my fourth box!"

"Look at you go," Luke said, smiling proudly. "How're you holding up, bubs?"

I had spent the night before with the girls—they had all come over and we drank together. We even called Emma and encouraged her to take a couple of shots, because it wasn't the same without her. I had also called Luke, at some point, and told him I was sad about all the recent events.

Well, at least I was told that's what I did. I could barely remember most of what I said.

I was currently getting plenty of nasty messages on my social media for potentially cheating on Luke with Vince, so it hadn't been the best couple of days. I had also been contacted by Vince about a dozen times, texts and calls alike. He had been giving me lousy apologies all weekend, but I didn't care to hear them. His apologies always missed the point—he never took full responsibility, and that's how I knew he wasn't apologizing for the right reasons.

So I blocked his number.

Whether or not I'd get over what he'd done at some point, I had no intention of talking to him casually ever again. He had lost the privilege.

"Well, I deleted Twitter and Instagram off my phone for the time being," I told Luke through a sigh. "It'll probably only last a day or two, but I know myself too well. If they were on my phone right now, I wouldn't be able to get off of them."

"I think that's a good idea," Luke told me, his voice soft and calming. "You don't need to absorb all the negativity, especially since it's all so uncalled for. You haven't done anything wrong and you don't deserve a smidge of any of this."