"let me try again"

chapter forty: let me try again

SUNDAY MORNING. My eyes slowly fluttered open as I heard a soft whisper near my ear, followed by something soft being pressed against my neck; Luke's lips began to trail down my skin and I smiled at the feeling. "Did the lack of curtains wake you up?" I asked Luke through a groggy whisper as my eyes started to react to the bright light coming in through the windows.

"You might yell at me when I tell you how early it is," Luke said through a giggle, which amused me.

"Oh?"

"It's barely thirty minutes past six." My eyes opened wide in surprise and that caused Luke's brows to raise. "You can go back to sleep if you'd like." Feeling more awake now, I took in Luke's appearance.

"Hey... are you feeling okay?" I could tell that Luke didn't look well-rested; his eyes were slightly bloodshot and puffy.

"I'm better now," he said through a tired laugh before falling onto his back and bringing his hands up to his eyes, rubbing them as he let out a yawn. I leaned over him and placed my hand on his chest. "I woke up around three with a killer stomachache—I might have had too much to drink. But it's out of my system now."

"Oh no, Lu," I said, instantly feeling bad for him. "You should've woken me up."

"Don't be silly—there was no reason for you to be up. I took a shower and got back to bed as soon as I could," he told me, which surprised me further—I couldn't believe I had slept through everything he had done. "But the lack of curtains definitely did me dirty."

"Do you think you could stomach something? I could make us breakfast," I suggested, wanting to do something to help him feel better. "We could make you some toast?"

"It's cute that you want to baby me, but I'm really fine," he told me before leaning up and kissing my cheek. "I'm guessing I look pretty bad—but I'm really not feeling bad anymore. I want to make you breakfast, I don't want you to worry about me."

"Luke," I groaned out in frustration as I realized he wasn't going to let me do anything nice for him.

"Don't worry about me, bubs," he said with a smile before placing a hand on my cheek. He slowly stroked his thumb against the skin of my cheek and I couldn't keep a smile from appearing on my face. "How did you sleep?"

"Like a rock, apparently," I said through a scoff. "I'm telling you—when you're here, I sleep so much better."

"You can't be certain that I'm the cause this time. Maybe it's just the house. I'm sure you'll always sleep well here, even without me," Luke tried to separate himself from the equation and I slowly squinted my eyes as I looked in his direction. "What?"

"Nothing..." I said before letting out a sigh. "I think I'm going to shower, it'll help me wake up."

"Jos, you can go back to sleep if you need to," Luke said, his eyebrows furrowing ever so slightly with concern. "Are you mad at me?"