"i won't make a habit of this"

chapter four: i won't make a habit of this

WEDNESDAY MORNING

WEDNESDAY MORNING. After one painfully long first class of the day, of the semester, I trudged up the steps to my next class. That was thankfully my only class left for the day. The class was Journalism and Law, and it was notorious for being the worst required class for journalism majors. I hadn't gotten a chance to look at the class roster, but I was hoping that I would see at least one familiar face by the time I made it to the room.

I got inside the classroom fairly early, so I chose a seat that was surrounded by empty seats in hopes that some of my same-major friends would eventually walk through the door and grace me with their presence. After getting bored of keeping guard, I found myself looking through my Twitter and reading through tweets about the latest channel upload. 

"Well, if it isn't Little Miss Big-Time Interviewer." Immediately catching my attention, I looked up abruptly to see my friend Kate smiling wide. "Do you think you could find it in your heart to let some unworthy lowlife sit beside you?"

"Kate, would you shut up and sit down?" I pulled on her arm and watched as she began to laugh while taking her seat beside me.

"Of course the one summer I decide to actually go somewhere, one of my closest friends gets famous." I breathed in deeply as I realized Kate wasn't going to let this go easily, so I decided to strap myself in and prepare for the ride. "I would kill to meet Luke Hemmings. Meanwhile, people are convinced that you two are together!"

"Well—"

"So—are you?" Kate asked, leaning forward in her chair as she smiled wide and expectantly. My heart pounded at her inquiry and I couldn't find the words to say; I couldn't remember how to properly formulate a good enough lie. I glanced over to the door and smiled wide as I saw just the person I had hoped to see.

"Vince!" Successfully catching the attention of the tall, lanky blonde, I waved frantically as a smile spread across his face. He hurried over and took the spot on the other side of me, but not before leaning over and wrapping his arms around me.

"It's good to see you, Joey." Vince's eyes moved from me to Kate, and he sent her a smile as well. "Ah, and always a pleasure to see you, Katey."

"Yeah, yeah—hello, Vincent."

"I'm guessing you guys saw plenty of each other over the break?" I asked once Vince had taken a seat. Kate and Vince had been friends in high school; they lived in a town about three hours away from campus and had purposely gone to school together. They were closer to being siblings than good friends.

"Kate's car broke down at one point in the summer, so I was given the honor of being her personal chauffer," Vince explained with a forced smile, causing me to laugh and Kate to roll her eyes. "We've been collectively excited to see you—Katey came across your interview and we were stoked. I know we texted you at the time, but... we felt bad that we weren't in town to go for celebratory drinks or something. It just seemed like such a big milestone. And then you just kept on going! I mean, damn! You're not even finished with your degree, and you're already working with the big leagues."