"saved the best for last"

chapter fifty-two: saved the best for last

SATURDAY MORNING. After a long night of celebrating, I was surprised that the sound of my phone ringing was able to wake me up. However, as I came to and processed the noise, a pounding suddenly took over in my head. I grunted as I pushed myself up, distancing myself from my mattress which I had fallen asleep face-first on top of. I had situated myself in the middle of the bed, which I thought was funny, but the giggle that escaped my lips only caused the pounding to intensify. I crawled toward my usual side of the bed before taking my phone from its charger and turning the screen toward me.

Luke was calling.

A smile replaced my grumpy frown seconds before I answered the FaceTime call. He knew I had been drinking fairly heavily the night before, so I didn't much care that he'd be seeing the state I was in. He knew better than to have high expectations for my morning-time appearance at this point.

"Good morning, bubs. You're looking particularly stunning this morning," Luke joked which earned him a playful glare. "Did I wake you?"

"Yes, but that's alright," I told him seconds before realizing what time it was; it was already almost ten o'clock. "Jesus, I'm glad you did, actually. I should've been up ages ago."

"Don't be silly, Jos. It's Saturday. Surely you deserve a day off from waking up early," he argued which caused me to laugh quietly. A grimace made its way to my face though as the pounding in my head suddenly resumed. "It's one of those mornings, huh?"

"Sadly," I confirmed before bringing my hand up to my face; pinching the bridge of my nose as I tried to decide what my plans for the morning were. "Wait—how was the interview?"

"It was great," Luke updated me, sending me a wide smile. "It ended earlier than I had originally expected which is why I took the chance to call you as soon as I could. I figured you weren't awake yet since you hadn't texted, but I still feel bad for waking you up."

"Seriously, don't worry," I dismissed his concern as I slowly got out of bed. "I'm really glad you called. I feel like it's been years since I saw your face."

"I know. I've been so busy this week. I'm sorry." I pouted in response to Luke's pout and we both let out quiet giggles.

"Don't be sorry, Lu. It's not your fault. I'm just glad you're calling now," I promised him. I never wanted Luke to feel bad for not having time to call when he still talked to me as much as he could through text. We were doing the best we could and he was always putting in an insane amount of effort. "I actually have something to tell you." The words left my lips slowly and slightly awkwardly. Despite wanting to feel excited to share the news, I found myself feeling mostly nervous to tell Luke.

"Oh?" Luke asked in surprise, his tone almost making it seem like he was trying to decipher whether that was a good or bad thing.

"I've got to help this headache first, though," I explained as I walked down the stairs before making my way to the kitchen.